Remote starter for 1996 civic

I was wondering if it is possible to install a remote starter on my

1996 civic, auto transmission with manual door locks. If yes, which brand do you suggest. Are there any issues (bad or good) after installing it? I searched this group and google but did not find good ref for 1996 civic. Is it something to do with the dealership or electronic shop. Thanks a in advance.
Reply to
ExtremeValue

Yes it can be done and a Civic is a very easy vehicle to do it on.

My preferred brands are CodeAlarm and DEI (makers of Python and Viper). Make sure whatever you get uses a tach wire to detect when the vehicle is running and doesn't depend on voltage sensing.

On Civic, should take about an hour to put in. Maybe a little more if you've never worked on under-dash wiring. You could even get door lock actuators to add keyless entry while you're working on the vehicle. Expect about another hour PER door.

Reply to
Seth

Hi Thanks for your post. But I don't have tachometer in my 1996 civic (LX) so will there be Tach wire? Also I am not an expert in mehcanics or wiriing, so I will probably have to rely on professionals. Should I go with the delarship in my area or go to a reputable shop like The Source or Canadian Tire. By the way, I am in Ontario, Canada.

Thanks a lot.

Seth wrote:

Reply to
ExtremeValue

The tach wire on the remote starter will attach to the negative side of your coil under the hood. The unit uses this signal to A) determine when/if the car has stared and B) what the RPMs are (so it can shut the engine off in an over-rev situation).

I would not go to the dealer for this kind of work. Your best bet will be with a car stereo/alarm shop that does installations. As people you know where they've gone before for alarms and stereos. Make sure it is a reputable shop and they will do the tach connection to your coil. If they don't know what you are talking about, they aren't worth your money. If they don't want to go to that level, they are lazy and can't be trusted to do a good job.

Reply to
Seth

Are there any issues? Yes. Wear and tear on the engine.

Honda says you shouldn't idle your Honda to warm it up. If you need to park all day in extreme cold where there's no power plug, then it's a lifesaver since it can be programmed to run for a few minutes every time the engine gets cold. That's the only reason I'd ever install one.

Start it, brush off the snow, adjust the mirror, drive away gently. (paraphrase from the owner's manual)

When I look for a used Honda, REMOTER STARTER is the last thing I'm looking for, in fact it's a big NEGATIVE.

'Curly'

Reply to
'Curly Q. Links'

"ExtremeValue" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@m73g2000cwd.googlegroups.com:

It's the blue wire coming out of distributor connector.

Reply to
TeGGeR®

"Seth" wrote in news:84PYg.170$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe08.lga:

I had an auto alarm installed in my 94 Integra GSR at Best Buy (where I bought it,installation was free) and I was impressed with the service shop.They had manuals with diagrams and checklists for the various makes and models. The shop was immaculate,always a good sign.

Reply to
Jim Yanik