Paintwork

My car's paintwork has been damaged by parking under a leaking air conditioning duct. The car is now covered in a hardened chalky coloured martial , a bit like limestone.

It came off the windows OK using a stanley knife blade but I can't shift it off the paintwork. So far I've tried soap, petrol, white spirit, T cut, polish, vinegar and Cillit Bang.

Any other suggestions????

Thanks

Peter

Reply to
Peter

Probably is limestone residue, try kettle descaler, (on unimportant paint site first)

Reply to
Geo.B

As a last resort, rubbing compound or wet/dry paper - use a block and plenty of water

Reply to
MrGrumpy

And dont forget to lubricate with soap

Reply to
sploop

I wonder if a clay bar would work?

Reply to
RedDrawf

What you need is a chelating agent that dissolves calcium salts. Have you tried CLR or any of those other shower nozzle, electric kettle etc. cleaning products? Another method might be to wet the area with bicarbonate of soda solution (very mild alkali which turns the calcium to calcium carbonate), let that dry then wash that of with acetic acid (vinegar, a very mild acid which fizzes a bit as the acid dissolves the carbonate). It cleans oxide build up off ceramic tiles and glass and it's not abrasive so it won't hurt paintwork.

Graham L

Reply to
Graham L