Paintwork

My car's paintwork has been damaged by parking under a leaking air conditioning duct. The car is now covered in a hardened chalky coloured martial , a bit like limestone.

It came off the windows OK using a stanley knife blade but I can't shift it off the paintwork. So far I've tried soap, petrol, white spirit, T cut, polish, vinegar and Cillit Bang.

Any other suggestions????

Thanks

Peter

Reply to
Peter

Was it your air conditioning unit or someone elses? If it is someone else's you have good grounds for recovering your costs. uk.legal have a few informed people.

Failing that I'd try paint stripper and paint ;)

Reply to
Marvin The Mouse

Meguiar's Quik Clay?

Reply to
Zog The Undeniable

Decent cutting compound such as Farecla G3 (try your local vehicle paint factor) on an electric polishing mop. Keep it wet! Messy, but should shift anything.

Reply to
Chris Bolus

Very longshot but have you tried soaking some kitchen paper in something and just leaving it for a while? It's what I do with the most hardened of bird shit, not the same think I know, and I'm not sure what it might do to surrounding paintwork but it might be worth a try?

cheers, Paul

Reply to
Paul Hutchings

Might be a daft question - how long was it parked up to end up with this level of damage ?

Reply to
Colin Wilson

If it is a chalky substance then you should be able to dissolve it off with a weak acid such as vinegar or the stuff they sell in builders' merchants for removing mortar stains. But it won't just come off by rubbing it with this liquid. You'll have to arrange for it to dissolve off - perhaps soak a cloth in it and leave it in a lump on the chalky bit. I doubt if you'll affect the paint tho' I wouldn't swear on it.

Rob Graham

Reply to
Rob graham

Just watch you don't get the hydrofluoric acid that is sold as mortar stain remover. I'd imagine it would strip your paint right off considering what it does to block paving!!

Reply to
Frank

In message , Frank writes

Handling HF without the correct precautions, the damage to your paintwork is the least of your worries. It's a remarkably unpleasant substance, and unpleasant in ways that more commonly used acids aren't.

They really sell it for removing mortar stains? To Joe Public?

Reply to
Steve Walker

Actually, I thought mortar stain remover was hydrochloric, not hydrofluoric, but I may be wrong. Whatever it is, anyone can buy it. I've never had any problems with it. And because it might dissolve block paving doesn't mean that it would necessarily dissolve paint.

Rob

Reply to
Rob graham

A bit more info

Rob Graham

Reply to
Rob graham

Try useing CLR it will take off calcium , lime and rust that should do the trick!!!

Removes calcium deposits from glassware, decanters and tea or coffee pots. Instantly removes lime scales from coffeemakers, humidifiers, tubs, toilets and sinks. Instantly removes rust stains from brick, stucco, porcelain, chrome and metal. This CLR Industrial Strength Cleaner is one of many top quality items in our Mineral Deposit Remover department

Reply to
ryan62864