1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee Hard Start

My 1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee always takes a good 5-10 seconds before it starts after it has been sitting for a while; however, once it starts, I can cut it off, and restart it at no problem. I took it to the dealer, and they suspected that it might be a fuel problem however they didn't perform a diagnostic test. I purchased the fuel pump module repair kit. I installed the o ring and spacer on the fuel return fitting that connects to the pressure regulator. I've had a battery test and an alternator test. Both are good. Even after I installed the o ring, I'm still having starting problems. Did I install the o ring kit incorrectly? Could the spark plug be an issue? I'd like your feedback. I'm a novice.

Reply to
jnm007a

The check valve in the fuel regulator has probably failed.

Try turning on the key (ignition on position) and waiting 1-2 seconds before cranking then let us know the result.

Reply to
billy ray

When I turned the ignition in the on position a few times, then tried to start it started immediately.

Reply to
jnm007a

If you replace the regulator, which is in front of the fuel tank tucked up near the floor, the problem will go away.

Or you can relearn your starting procedure to include a 1-2 second pause between on and start.

The second choice is free and you won't have to lay in the snow to do it.

Reply to
billy ray

There is a second anti bleed valve in the fuel rail for the return line isn't there?

Mike

Mike Romain

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

billy ray proclaimed:

And you get so used to doing it you even do it with rental cars. And forget to ever get around to fixing the problem even after 4 years or so.

Reply to
Lon

Reply to
philthy