2" Lift ?'s

There aren't that many CJs around here that I can compare appearances with. I do like the look of my not so wide but taller tyres. I have seen a couple of TJs with really wide tyres (primarily on-road) and it looks kind of odd (IMO).

I had moved from 225s to 265s and the on-road driving / stability / cornering seems to have improved a little bit. I haven't had a chance to test them off-road yet, so can't comment. 225s on a TJ looked too thin and left a lot of space under the fender flare outer lips.

TW

--

01 TJ Renegade 4.0L Auto D30/44, 265/75R16 BFG Muds

Reply to
TW

So what is the biggest tire I could get on my stock wheels. I have the Echo

15x7 wheels with the 265's on them now.

Could I get 31x10.50's on them with no problemo.

I am having a hard time finding wheels I like and I do like the stock ones. Just the tires are to small

Reply to
Intergate

If you have stock tyres, they would most probably be 225s not 265s. I have changed to 265/75R16 from stock 225/70R16, the 265 measures to around 10.4 inches. I have factory Jeep Icon 16 inch rims which are 7 inch wide. The tyres look nice to me in this combination.

TW

--

01 TJ Renegade 4.0L Auto D30/44, 265/75R16 BFG Muds

Reply to
TW

sorry you are right, 225's my mistake.

How do the 265's compare to the 31's?

Some one must have a link to a chart some where.

Reply to
Intergate

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Thanks Bill, you got to it before I could due to time zone differences :-)

265/75R16 give me about 807mm (31.7 inch) overall diameter with 265mm (10.4 inch) width. You can find the info on BF Goodrich website as well (mine are BF Goodrich Mud Terrains). By going from 225/70R16 (half tread depth left) to 265/75R16 (new), I have gained 45mm (1.75 inch) in ground clearance on my lowest points (front and rear pumpkins).

Overall dimensions/sizes can differ somewhat from one tyre manufacturer to the other.

TW

Reply to
TW

Your pitman arm is fine. No transfer spacers are needed. With any lift you will need to have the Jeep aligned after installation. The tire size is fine. Teraflex has a backspacing chart for lifts and tire sizes on their website.

Reply to
Trust5280

I got the RE 2" lift and had to do a transfer case drop (big washers). I have an automatic though.

Reply to
KH

Yeah mine is auto also, so I ordered kit just in case.

Does anyone think I will have any rubbing problems front or rear with the

31x10.50x15 on the stock 7" echo wheels?

I will adjust steering stops

Reply to
Intergate

I can't say if you will have any rubbing problems in your rear, but the Jeep certainly won't. As for your front, well, take it easy if your rubbing gets excessive. Regardless, your Jeep will be fine with the stops let out bit.

Steve

Reply to
Steve

Don't go adjusting things until you try it first.

I have seen a bunch including both of my Jeeps that only rub in one direction, so only one steering stop adjustment is needed.

Mike

Mike Romain

I have seen this mentioned several times as I decided on what to do to replace worn springs on my CJ.

Maybe I'm being dense, but what does lifting the body have to do with alignment? Why does it have to be re-aligned just because of the lift?

Although the center of gravity might be raised some, and certainly will be in my case when compared with the old collapsed springs -- the exact same weight is being supported at the exact same places on the frame.

And in this case the person was talking about only a minor lift -- 2".

The kit instructions for the one I am now doing make no mention of this.

Just trying to understand what I may be missing .....

Mike

Reply to
cj8

Folks forget that some of us drive small trucks still with simple alignment.

On a CJ7 you can do a spring lift without doing an alignment. The newer YJ"s and TJ's have to be aligned after a suspension lift.

If you start messing with shackles, all bets are off, then you need some serious shim work.

Now just because you don't 'have' to line it up, I still like to adjust the drag link so my steering wheel comes back to center.

Neither one has to be aligned after a body lift!

Mike

snipped-for-privacy@turkeybayou.com wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Thanks, Mike.

That's what made sense to me.

No body lift here either -- just the springs as you know.

Have the two rear completed now; front to come this July 4 weekend.

The job has not been without problems and I'll report back once everything is done.

Mike

Reply to
cj8