26 below zero

and my 2000 TJ fired right up (in a parking lot). It took both legs to push the clutch in, but after 40 miles, even that thawed out.

Reply to
Matt Osborn

Why can't all cars work like a jeep lol? Man I wonder about the clutch master cyl seals after that much effort...

Reply to
<Skip>

Way back when I worked in colder climates, I'd start the vehicle, go for a coffee, and let the vehicle warm up sometimes for a 1/2 hour and sometimes longer to let the engine heat make its way to other parts such as the transmission, hydraulics. Diesels of course just idled 24/7 :-)

Reply to
bowgus

That's unfortunate. Having been a mechanic in the frozen north for a long time where we're just been through a week where the temp didn't rise above minus 30 and we had 2 consecutive overnight lows of -40 I can tell you that everytime you start them without the aid of engine pre-heat with a block heater you take thousands of miles off the life of the engine. In the days before electronic fuel injection and ingnition, and computer controlled engine, without being plugged in they just wouldn't start. Best thing that could happen. After we saw cold starting improve we started to see higher numbers of incidents of spun bearings and crankshaft failure from cold start. Anybody that has ever started an engine at room temp with the valve cover off can tell you how long it takes for the oil to get to the rocker arms. When it's -30 it takes a hell of a lot longer. Even if the oil pressure light is out or the gauge has started to climb it only means there's pressure in the galley and to the sender, not necessarily between the crank and bearing surfaces. That crank is running dry until it can pump that molasses like oil into the bearings. And of course you're elated and proud when it fires up and can't resist the urge to jazz the throttle a couple of times. More damage. If you keep that up yours will be the engine with the dull rapping sound heard everytime you start it after changing the oil and filter until the filter fills and pressure comes up. Eventually you'll be able to hear it momentarily on every startup. You'll sell it and the next owner will wonder why he's had to replace the engine at 120,000 miles and everyone else got

175,000. Steve "Matt Osborn" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...
Reply to
Steve G

Personally I'd be concerned about why the clutch was so hard to push in.. The past two weeks it's been hitting well below -40 with windchills well below that.. Normally I use underground heated parking, but while visting a friend for two days I was forced to park outside without plugging in the block heater.. Not only did it fire right up in only a few seconds, but the clutch went in with almost no effort at all.. Short of the clutch and brake fluids the dealer swapped out the other fluids for synthetics that are ment for the ambient air temp...It just doesn't start so well with the stock

10w30....
Reply to
me

Yep... I've heard that a block heater is a must up there. Folks just run the cord out the grille and leave it that way in the winter.I dunno how you folks stand it :)

Reply to
<Skip>

On 31 Jan 2004 08:08 AM, posted the following:

Well, some of them wrap it around the bumper, some bolt a cleat to their rig, and I have actually seen people in Fairbanks drape it over the hood and wrap it around the passenger side door mirror. I have examined the various common means of vehicular cord storage and found them to be, without exception, low class techniques. Fortunately, I have devised a better way. Behold the Electroplate:

This is the Mark II version installed on my '73 Chevy truck. If there are any Fairbanks residents here, they may be aware that a version is/ was produced for sale there. What is less commonly known, is that I drove my S-10 around Fairbanks for a good 2-3 years with the Mark I installed before those guys ever got started. Fairbanks isn't that big of a place and lots of people I came into contact with thought it was a good idea. I'm not necessarily saying that they copied it 'cause if I came up with it, somebody else could have too. 8^)

---------------------------------------------------- Del Rawlins- del@_kills_spammers_rawlinsbrothers.org Remove _kills_spammers_ to reply via email. Unofficial Bearhawk FAQ website:

Del Rawlins

Del Rawlins did pass the time by typing:

Try one of these.

with the ends switched around.

Reply to
DougW

..Heated underground parking.. :) Been nice with the temp's below

-40f.. starts with no problems and hey it's always warm when your driving, no need to ever experince the cold..

Reply to
me

You from Fairbanks, Dell? That's my hometown!

Eric

Reply to
Eric

I'll take the cold over the extreme heat any day, you can dress for

-40 but you can never take off enough cloth>Yep... I've heard that a block heater is a must up there. Folks just run the

Reply to
Jeepster

Reply to
Jeepster

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

L.W. (ßill) Hughes III did pass the time by typing:

That is a cool camera. Hell of a zoom.

Where's the nude beach?

Reply to
DougW

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

On 31 Jan 2004 12:37 PM, Eric posted the following:

No, I went to college at UAF. I hate Fairbanks and think anyone who would choose to live there on a permanent basis is mentally suspect. 8^)

I'm from Cordova, but now live in Los Anchorage.

---------------------------------------------------- Del Rawlins- del@_kills_spammers_rawlinsbrothers.org Remove _kills_spammers_ to reply via email. Unofficial Bearhawk FAQ website:

Del Rawlins

On 31 Jan 2004 12:46 PM, Jeepster posted the following:

People have done that but I am skeptical of any such device with moving parts at 40 below, particularly if a little snow/ice/dirt has gotten into it. Then you are back to wrapping it around the bumper.

Well, I have a couple extension cords in my inventory with replacement ends and my ex roomate's trooper is missing the center of its grille where a cord cleat was attached.

That would be hilarious to watch.

---------------------------------------------------- Del Rawlins- del@_kills_spammers_rawlinsbrothers.org Remove _kills_spammers_ to reply via email. Unofficial Bearhawk FAQ website:

Del Rawlins

What sucks is when it is so cold you have to stay in the vehicle holding the clutch pedal down until the thing warms up enough it doesn't stall when you let the clutch out in neutral.

Reply to
L0nD0t.$t0we11

Ever run into a flake from Whitefish Montana, went by the name of Nat Good, in Cordoba?

Reply to
L0nD0t.$t0we11

What would the clutch pedal have to do with stalling if the vehicle was in neutral?

Reply to
<Skip>