26 below zero

I'm guessing Bill will have the beach cam link up any minute now. :)

Tom

snip

Reply to
mabar

Cold transmission oil is a bit thicker than vaseline and you are trying to turn the input shaft and gear thru it.

Reply to
L0nD0t.$t0we11

Aha. Coldest I've ever seen was maybe 9 degrees.

Dunno how you folks stand it up there lol.

Reply to
<Skip>

I grew up in Buffalo, N.Y. ..............not as cold as Alaska but at the time it seemed as if it all felt about the same after -10F......

Reply to
Carlo

I don't. I wimped out and moved to Kalifornia.

Reply to
L0nD0t.$t0we11

Reply to
Jeepster

I have owned a couple vehicles that would take off forward when the clutch pedal was released in neutral if you didn't hold the brake hard. The gear oil was that thick at -40 or colder.

Mike

Skip wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

On 31 Jan 2004 03:47 PM, L0nD0t.$t0we11 posted the following:

Brett Good was in my class but they moved away when I was in grade school. I ran into Brett when I competed in the state spelling bee (hey, it was a free trip to Anchorage, my strategy was to lose early and go goof off), and later at UAF where he was majoring in theater.

---------------------------------------------------- Del Rawlins- del@_kills_spammers_rawlinsbrothers.org Remove _kills_spammers_ to reply via email. Unofficial Bearhawk FAQ website:

Del Rawlins

I've had a heating pad on the transmission of everything but my Jeep, which is going to get one before next winter. It makes a big difference starting out in the morning.

---------------------------------------------------- Del Rawlins- del@_kills_spammers_rawlinsbrothers.org Remove _kills_spammers_ to reply via email. Unofficial Bearhawk FAQ website:

Del Rawlins

Nat Good would be about 59-60 now. Used to be a schoolteacher and then moved up to teaching supervision. Which, if you knew the guy in high school is one of the ultimate ironies.

Reply to
L0nD0t.$t0we11

On Sun, 1 Feb 2004 01:25:05 UTC wrote:

My introduction to cold was my first winter in Wisconsin. I had a single car garage so the old beater Scout I bought got to park outside. That winter had a run of something like 20 days where the high was below zero, with the lowest nightime temp of -34 so everything was cold soaked. To get that 4-banger Scout going, I had a block heater that would at least let me start it. Th starter would barely turn the engine with the clutch out, so the drill was: Clutch in, start engine. Hold the clutch until the engine smoothed out. Give it some gas and let the clutch out in neutral. That usually wasn't too painful, but the next step would generally kill it a time or two: tc to neutral, tranny to reverse (highest gear ratio by quuite a bit), clutch out to stir the tranny and input shaft of the tc. Shift the tc between 2WD/4WD/front only - it was a twin stick with the option of front 2WD and 2WL, which was fun to play with - and let the thing go until it has loosened up the tranny and tc as much as it could. Now the big test: turning the diffs. If it was dry out, then 2WD rear only with hubs unlocked was no big problem - just lots of gas and go. If I needed 4WD to get out, that was another story entirely. That little 152 ci slant 4 didn't have enough power to pull the hat off your head, much less turn 2 cold diffs and climb out of the snow. Even when it was dry getting out to the street was a challenge. The worst morning saw -30 degrees, 26 inches of snow drifted across the driveway in pile up to about 5 feet. That was the day I tied the pto winch to a phone pole across the street and dragged the whole thing out to the street pointed down hill before I could get out.

Another morning I flooded it and the wife was going to push it to get me started - 383 hemi in a garaged Charger should be enough, right? Well, when she got me up to 15-20 mph (finally, even down hill) I eased the clutch out in hi gear and all 4 wheels just locked - wouldn't turn for anything.

And people ask me why I moved out of there as soon as I could...

Reply to
Will Honea

I had to put mine in 4wd the other morning after a night at work, the wheel bearing and diffs were so thick it would just spin the back wheels in the snow. It's fun driving the 1st mile or so also with 4 tires that are not quite round.

It was -38C that morn>>

Reply to
Jeepster

That would have been Brett's dad. I think he had an older brother also named Nat, so I wasn't sure which one you were talking about. A search on whowhere.com shows that Brett is still in Fairbanks, if you are interested you could probably contact his dad through him.

---------------------------------------------------- Del Rawlins- del@_kills_spammers_rawlinsbrothers.org Remove _kills_spammers_ to reply via email. Unofficial Bearhawk FAQ website:

Del Rawlins

How about Harry Barker? He has a place there and in Sonora,CA near here.

Reply to
Paul Calman

Thanks. I have the email address, just wondering if you'd ever run across the somewhat wierd dude. Or Tony Hinderman, aka "the little man who walks behind".

Reply to
L0nD0t.$t0we11

Doesn't ring a bell.

---------------------------------------------------- Del Rawlins- del@_kills_spammers_rawlinsbrothers.org Remove _kills_spammers_ to reply via email. Unofficial Bearhawk FAQ website: