76 CJ5

Determine if it;s a 20 first, an AMC 20 would have a perfectly round cover, a Dana 44 would be more angular. 1976 would be either but more likely a 20.

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

The 44 cover looks like an apple laying on it's side.

Mike

Mike Romain

I saw a nice description somewhere that makes it easy to remember.... the diff cover looks just like the helmet my grandfather wore in the First War and some of our fathers wore in the Second War.

Reply to
billy ray

The Painless harness that I put into my 1979 CJ5 resto was *mostly* painless. The harnesses join at the firewall like the factory ones did, and all the ends are tagged and labled. The bugs were in the alternator section -- since they make a "universal" harness to cover a wide range of model years and because Jeep changed suppliers so often there's a bit of hand work and puzzling to be done around the alternator. The best advice I can give is to read the entire Painless manual before starting anything, especially the Erratum section at the back because there were errors in the body of the manual.

Oh, and `76 was the first year for the fully boxed frame. Be sure you look carefully at the tail ends of the frame rails -- to see if they are still there.

Carl wrote:

Reply to
Lee Ayrton

Reply to