91 XJ: leaking oil filter adapter

I've been using Mobile One 15W50 and noticed there appears to be oil leaking from the oil filter adapter which sticks out from the block. Is this possible? Is it easy to fix?

Wblane

Easy fix - one bolt to pull. Of course, every time I've tried that one bolt took some convincing before it came out...

There are 2 O-rings under the adapter and one around the bolt (it's hollow and carries the flow). I've bought them at the dealer for $8 to $10 for the set but I've also bought stock O-rings from a big parts house for less than $3 for the set. Takes maybe 20 minutes to change

- if you can get a wrench on that one bolt. Mine has a regular bolt head, some have an Allen head bolt.

Reply to
Will Honea

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

Thanks Bill and Will. This is one great newsgroup. I get more answers from here than any place else.

I'm gonna try Bill's idea out and see if I can just mount the oil filter directly to the block like god intended. Bill is it any harder to get to the oil filter when it's directly attached to the block like this? If so, I'll be that's why Jeep came up w/the oil filter adapter in the first place.

Wblane

I looked at that on my 88 MJ and there isn't room. The filter would be close to hitting the frame and almost impossible to get on/off. Replacing the O-rings is a lot simpler.

Reply to
Will Honea