96 GC don't start

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

The Mechanic is now in the dash cluster, i think he really don't know where to go and he want to avoid to replace parts for nothing. I told him that all race car have not dash and they still start..... Should i start by replacing the Crankshaft Position Sensor ot the top dead center sensor ?

I need my truck since im running a computer store and tommorow will be 1 week without transportation.....

-- LE CLONE

279 Notre-Dame Gatineau, Qc J8P 1K6 (819) 643-0511 SANS FRAIS 1 888 643 0511
Reply to
Le CLone

Busted ground man......

You live in the 'classic' rust belt so bad that your axles are rotting away right?

Have you changed the open wire mesh ground from the engine to the firewall yet?

Do you think that open mesh wire should last longer then a solid steel axle?

Believe me, they rot 'way' faster than axles.......

Mike

Le CL>

Reply to
Mike Romain

Using a test light we are able to get ground from various parts on the engine,

Assuming that the sensor quit while i was using the vehicules, because the day before it ran fine except it never start the day after, what sensor it essential for the vehicule to start but is not required when the vehicules is running ?

-- LE CLONE

279 Notre-Dame Gatineau, Qc J8P 1K6 (819) 643-0511 SANS FRAIS 1 888 643 0511
Reply to
Le CLone

I will try once again....

The battery has a large black wire that goes to the engine block. This grounds the engine to the battery.

Some of the sensors for the engine have their grounds also on the engine block. They are small black wires and bolt on behind the oil filter on the passenger side.

The computer that runs everything uses the Jeep body for a ground.

In order to have the computer working, you need a solid ground from the engine and battery to the Jeep body.

'This' ground is an open wire mesh wire on a bolt at the rear drivers side of the engine head and goes up to the firewall.

'This' ground rots out really fast!!!

If this ground is not there, you 'can' still test some ground on the body with a light, but this can 'parasitic' ground from things like the gas cable and gear shifter. When the starter is turning, there will not be enough ground for the computer to fire up if that mesh cable has rotted away.

Once rotted, it only takes that last wobble of the engine for it to fall of and stop you dead.

That happened to me 30 seconds after I finished changing the CPS on mine.

You can check this easily! Simply run a booster cable from the battery negative to a clean point on the body to ground it and see if it starts.

Or just 'look' at the mesh wire to see if it still exists in one piece.

Mike

Le CL>

Reply to
Mike Romain

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Bill the page is referring to the TOP DEAD CENTER sensor and you are reporting Crankshaft Position Sensor are they both the same ?

I need to start some trial and error now because i really need my JEEP running. so i made the mechanic look at all the ground as Mike suggest and will order the sensor at the same time. the TDC is 140 $ Can, im trying to avoid paying and trying.

let me know if both of them are the same sensor.

Thanks

Pat

Reply to
Le CLone

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Reply to
mic canic

Well i made them order the sensor today, i have a feeling this is it, and it been a week they are trying to find the problem !!!!

I think i will have argument when the bill will come in.

Pat

-- LE CLONE

279 Notre-Dame Gatineau, Qc J8P 1K6 (819) 643-0511 SANS FRAIS 1 888 643 0511
Reply to
Le CLone

they replace the parts i was suggest first the CPS and voila.... my baby is running again ! im so happy thanks to everyone who help me on this one.

im gonna drink a good cold one tonight

Pat