What is a jeep hardtop made of?

I have a 2000 TJ. Is the hard-top (black) made of fiberglass or some kind of plastic? If plastic, what type? Has anybody every tried making a mold of the hardtop and casting your own? Thanks

Reply to
Lee

Jerry Bransford

Reply to
EDDIE O'CONNOR

Thermal setting resin, glass mat or cloth, and roving woven = (fiber glass). I worked in a boat repair shop for several years and unless you ever had done that type of work I would advise you not try but what do I know.

HarryS

Reply to
HarryS

"making a mold of the hardtop and casting your own" Are you crazy? Why in the world would you even consider that? (unless you plan to start a company and sell thousands of after market tops like Pavement Ends or Bestop!)

Reply to
JimG

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

I saw that (for lack of a better word) "Jeep" in Kansas City awhile back. I came very close to running off the road (not the good way). "It's a Jeep Thing that I Definitely Don't Understand."

...and I heard him exclaim, as he drove out of sight...You can crawl over anything, if you have the right height!

Best to All!

Saw Ya, Don/i8tokyo

Reply to
i8tokyo

Why on earth would anyone bother? But given the range of hack jobs I've seen some folks try tacking onto their vehicles I wouldn't be surprised to see someone try. There seem to be no limits to what people will spend of their own time rather than biting the bullet and just buying a ready-made solution.

Reply to
wkearney99

it was just a question, no need to be antagonistic. it's not a matter of money - it's just that nobody sells what I want my hardtop to do exactly. And furthermore, what's wrong with a little creativity and hard work? I think it would be a fun project to try.

Reply to
Lee

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

And send us pics afterwards. As long as it doesn't have a "whaletail" spoiler like Bill's pic and doesn't have any pictures of nekkid men, I'd be interested to see it.

Out of curiousity ...what is it you need your hardtop to do? Aren't they just supposed to cover the Jeep? Is it for a custom buggy-type Jeep? Do you want it to automatically open up off the Jeep and roll out the back end upside-down into a bed-type gizmo so you and your woman ...ahhh nm.

Reply to
griffin

Seems like a hardtop with removeable windows might be a neat idea....

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Didn't you have that the '04 Wrangler at one point?

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

Looks like a Suzuki Samurai on drugs... just so, so, so, *wrong*.

L.W.(ßill) Hughes III proclaimed:

Reply to
Lon

Now I see that you are crazy and have no idea what is involved. And furthermore (to coin a phrase), if money is no object, call Bestop and present them with your specifications.

Not antagonistic, just realistic.

:-)

JimG

Reply to