Some Jeepin pics

I took these last sunday, Nov 28th. Only had time to put 2 up for now.

Enjoy.

Carl

Reply to
Carl Saiyed

Gotta love an xj with mud tires. KH

Reply to
Kevin in San Diego

Those are my new Goodyear MT/R's. They do pretty good in the snow for being open front and rear. :-)

Carl

Reply to
Carl Saiyed

Where were these taken?

Reply to
SoK66

Looks great Carl. Try airing them down to 10 psi to see them really grab.

Steve

Carl Saiyed wrote:

Reply to
Steve

Do you like them low in snow?

I have tried both hard and soft and found street pressure to be the best for my BFG muds in snow. Especially on the road! When soft I found they got up on top and spun too easy. If you spin, you are stopped usually. I also hate it when the steering wheels get up on top.

Mike

Steve wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

The only time I run low psi on the street is when the snow is so deep that digging down just gets you hung up. We got a huge dump of wet stuff a few weeks ago and with full pressure on an unplowed road I was spinning tires and pushing up snow with the front axle & bumper. I let the air out and pawed my way on top to get moving again. Yes, steering sucked, but I was driving on a foot and a half of snow.

On a plowed road or in a few inches of fresh stuff, I too find that full pressure is best for traction and steering at higher speeds. I'm sure it would be even better with 9.50s.

Offroad, on more technical trails, I've found low air works far better for my 10.50s. When a snow covered trail gets steep and rocky, fully inflated tires dig down quick enough, but once there they tend to spin out on the wet icy rock and slip laterally into any crevices making it hard to keep a line. With low psi I find I have more control.

Then again, in spring when the skidder tracks develop a thick coating of greasy mud, I've used high psi for better dig-down traction on flat stretches.

Steve

Mike Roma> Do you like them low in snow?

Reply to
Steve

Reply to
FrankW

Well maybe not "on top of::

Or is this what you mean by "on top of":

JimG

Unfortunately, just like all my best fishing stories, this one has no pics. The storm dumped 40 cm. Yeah, I was driving more 'through' than 'on' the snow, but the low psi made enough of a difference to keep the front end from plowing. Note that my hubs sit at about 15" and my underbelly clearance is about 20".

Steve

FrankW wrote:

Reply to
Steve

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

And considering how much snow you get in San Diablo, Bill, I'm sure you speak from recent experience..

:-)

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

yeah I got the same ones. they own the trail with front and rear lockers ( ARB rear lockright front) Heres mine : of course the tires work better when they have something to grab onto.

Kevin in San Diego

Evans Creek, WA. Near Wilkeson, WA, about 20ish miles from Mt. Rainier.

Carl

Reply to
Carl Saiyed

Oh and before you all say something, that was before I put in the D44 rear so I was open in the rear in that shot. KH

Reply to
Kevin in San Diego

Thanks, Steve & Mike. I don't know what PSI I had them at. I met a guy there who had a valve core removal tool. He had me pull the core and air down untill they "whislted". I think they were at about 20-25lbs, IIRC.

They did absolutley incredible in the snow. 100 times better than my studded Toyo Open countries...

Carl

Reply to
Carl Saiyed

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

I like going to brian head UT. I also spend at least one winter week in either lake tahoe or utah each winter. Not all of us southern californians are idiots on ice and snow. Just most of us ;) KH

Reply to
Kevin in San Diego

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III