Aluminum Dana 44

Jerry, Your reply was the only one that actually relayed useful and direct information about the durability of the 44a.

The only reply I received that was directed toward a direct comparison of the 35c and 44a was that the rear end of your WJ can be jacked if you have the 35c and not if you have the 44a.

I asked because I wanted to know what the real world experiences have been and it seems that the failure rate of the 44a in normal street usage, in respect to the active posters on this newsgroup, is 100%.

If this the case then why is it used over the 35c which is, at least, suitable for street and mild off-road use?

I assume it is not cheaper to manufacture because then it would be used in all WJs.

Reply to
billy ray

Because, Billy Ray, perception is reality. The 44 or 44a has a bigger ring gear, and a higher model number, so it must be the better axle. It just must be.

Back in the real world, posters here have reported that the 35c is not up to the abuse that a 4.0 liter engine can dish out. One fellow that I am thinking of reported, that he only subjected it to "street and mild off-road use", but he is a member of the Mile High Jeepers Club, uh huh. Those guys never abuse equipment. Then there is Bill's page, with all the axle shafts pulled out and the hokey rendition of "Lucille". I am thinking that the 35c is pretty evenly matched with the 2.5 liter fuel injected engine that I have, or the wimpy 258 cid carbureted engine in Mike's CJ7 ;^), but it is not for V8 use or towing.

According to Jerry's excellent post, to which you failed to render sufficient homage, the 44a isn't either.

Earle

***
Reply to
Earle Horton

LOL! Got news for ya, they put a 'real' Dana 44 in my CJ7....

I also don't think they put the 35C into any CJ7.

Mike

Earle Hort>

Reply to
Mike Romain

You should understand that the OP isn't the only one benefiting from the posting of your experience.

tw _____________________________________________________________________

2003 TJ Rubicon * 2001 XJ Sport * 1971 Bill Stroppe Baja Bronco

"There is a very fine line between 'hobby' and 'mental illness'."

Pronunciation: 'jEp Function: noun Date: 1940

Etymology: from g. p. (G= 'Government' P= '80 inch wheelbase') A small general-purpose motor vehicle with 80" wheelbase, 1/4-ton capacity and four-wheel drive used by the U.S. army in World War II. _____________________________________________________________________

Jerry Bransford wrote:

Reply to
twaldron

Reply to
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

The Aluminum "Dana 44" used in the 2001 GC is indeed weak. A good strong axle shaft won't really do you much good if the housing warps or the diff fails - you are still stuck! I use my GC on and off road. Not abused, but it DOES see off-road every chance it gets.

It came with the factory trailer towing pkg and the 4.8 v8. Rear diff failed at 62000 miles. Several aftermarket builders can build you a REAL Dana 44 or Ford 9" to replace the aluminum wanna-be.

Only problem is you will have to ship your old unit to them and do without your rig until you get the new rear end back. They need the old housing to cannabilize brackets and brake hardware. I was quoted costs between 2200 and 2900 (freight included).