Anyone using an Electrac?

I'm looking for some feedback on the Tractech's Electrac Is anyone using this?

Chad Fraker

About a month ago I was reading a magazine in the grocery store, would either be JP mag or 4Wheeldrive mag, and as I was skimming though they were taking out the electrac and putting back in the regular detroit, it wasn't working as they expected. I gave up waiting for the electrac for my model 20 rear, Tractech replied to my emails 3 times over the last year saying it was coming, just in testing stages, so I gave up.

Reply to
Greg

I think about all they have it for is the Dana 44. The Hummer H2's is made by Eaton, is that correct?

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

I think they have the D 44 and 60 availible.

Reply to
Greg

I bought a 99TJ with a D44 from Isuzu Rodeo in the rear. It had a Detroit Electrac in it but I pulled it out and installed an ARB. I had done some research on the Electrac and it appeard to be a good locker except for 2 features (my view).

1) It uses an external electrical actuator that is mounted on the outside of the diff cover. Although it had some protective covers, it is still fairly exposed. The actuator is the same unit commonly used on the front axle of some GM products (Blazer?) 2) It is tricky to set up. Requires you to look thru the hole for the fill plug and make an external adjustment that allowes the actuator to make proper contact with the internal shift fork. From info I have seen posted by Detroit, this adjustment is critical and is the leading cause of failure....misadjustment allows the shift fork to work the gears and eventually something fails. I set this TJ up for my son and I did not want him to worry about the setup in the future so I installed the ARB.

Every locker has good & bad points. Pick your poison. Paul D

Reply to
ppdavid