Body lift installed today.

Mike, you are correct... when travis mentioned e-brake cable problems I immediately thought of my problem (which is actually caused by my SOA) and pictured the Y-bracket mounted to the body - I stand corrected. He will probably be able to adjust his problem (assuming the length from the peddle to the frame bracket is OK).

JimG

Reply to
JimG

On Mon, 24 Nov 2003 15:36:54 -0800, "CRWLR" shared the following:

Yes, sir.

-- Travis

meek shall inherit the earth. After I'm finished with it.:wq!

Reply to
travis

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

On Mon, 24 Nov 2003 15:34:27 -0800, "CRWLR" shared the following:

Thanks. A couple of earlier responses verified for me that I had them. One-piece axles are on my list. Here's my "file" I'm keeping on my Jeep stuff. It's called "jeepstuff.txt" and I keep it on my desktop. Yes, I'm a nerd. :-)

Plans:

find rattle........

fix header leak

tuneup

bend xfer case shifter so I can engage 4-High (check at national welding supply about oxy-acetylene torch and tanks...)

change fluids in both diffs and xfer case and transmission

Install new sender to fix fuel gauge.

Mount vent tubes for front and rear axles up nice and high.

Add vent tube for tranny and transfer case...

fix blower motor

Shopping list:

*wheels/tires

*suspension lift ??? Put wheels/tires on first and try to make them fit by trimming fenders

*roll bar

*edelbrock intake and holley avenger truck carb

  • 1-piece axles - trailquest.com has them for: Travis, The Superior EV20 kits are 9. Be sure to specify the year of your jeep when ordering....
4wd.com also has them for $299...

  • rear locker (ARB air locker? sounds GREAT...available at quadratec.com for 9...Item# 16100+210)

  • front locker (look at superioraxle.com's super 30 front axle kit which includes an ARB locker...pn=EV30CJ-ARB...available at quadratec.com, Item# 16120+402...holy shit, it's 49!!!)

The shock is often the limiting factor to downtravel. You can see how much by running the jeep up a ramp with the shock disconnected on the bootom on the wheel that will be drooping so that you can see if the shock mount extends down passed where it would be able to with the shock mounted. See picture on page 47 of 4X4 Performance Handbook. What to do about this? Install longer shock with longer travel but you'll have to relocate the shock mounts to do this... See page 50 of 4X4 Performance Handbook, first few paragraphs for EXCELLENT information on how to go about doing this...

bumpsteer- suspension movement steers the wheels slightly (not a good thing) this is caused by the drag link being at an angle...when the axle moves up, the rod effectively gets longer and in most cases makes the Jeep steer to the right. ideally the drag link should be horizontal...easy sure for this is a dropped pitman arm. hmmm...many Jeepers are mounting their tie rods above the arms for clearance...this has the added advantage of lessening drag link angles and minimizing bump steer... see page 52 of 4X4 Performance handbook "steering linkage mods" section for details

BDS suspension lift = good thing

Rancho RS5000's (shocks) should come with a free kidney belt.

The Rancho 2.5" suspension SUCKS with a capital SUCKS!!!

Rubicon Express (express?) 4" long-arm suspension lift kit = good thing

tranny 1st gear for 3-speed manual 2.99:1 dana 20 xfer case low 2.03:1 dana 30 front axle and dana 20 rear 4.10:1 Crawl ratio 25:1

-- Travis

meek shall inherit the earth. After I'm finished with it.:wq!

Reply to
travis

On Mon, 24 Nov 2003 16:24:14 -0800, L.W.(ßill) Hughes III shared the following:

So do you, but your wife still puts up with you. ;-)

-- Travis

meek shall inherit the earth. After I'm finished with it.:wq!

Reply to
travis

L.W. (ßill) Hughes III did pass the time by typing:

This looks sillier

DougW

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

On Mon, 24 Nov 2003 18:38:18 -0600, "DougW" shared the following:

HAHAHAHA! You guys are great. Yeah... that does look silly. :-) I just showed it to my wife and oldest son. They aren't laughing as hard as I am, but that's ok. :-)

-- Travis

meek shall inherit the earth. After I'm finished with it.:wq!

Reply to
travis

: >

: Thanks. A couple of earlier responses verified for me that I had : them. One-piece axles are on my list. Here's my "file" I'm keeping : on my Jeep stuff. It's called "jeepstuff.txt" and I keep it on my : desktop. Yes, I'm a nerd. :-) :

Not as nerdy as I am... jeep.xls ... who else has a friggin' spreadsheet for their Jeep mods?

-Brian

Reply to
Cherokee-LTD

I don't even have my Jeep yet and I have one of those. :-)

Chris

On Tue, 25 Nov 2003 08:40:13 GMT, "c" shared the following:

Damn. I feel "cool" now. hahaha!

-- Travis

meek shall inherit the earth. After I'm finished with it.:wq!

Reply to
travis

I hope it works out well for you. The general rule of thumb is that body lift is bad, 1" is reasonable and 2" is the max. Body lift, especially more than 2", puts a huge amount of stress on the tub and tub-mounting bolts. The whole "leverage" thing comes into play on these bolts. If you hung out around here for very long, you would have found this out before you invested the time and money into this project.

Reply to
CRWLR

On Tue, 25 Nov 2003 13:09:44 -0800, "CRWLR" shared the following:

I hope it works out, too. When I started on it I found that only 6 of the 11 bolts were even in place, so at least now I have all 11 bolts brand new and tightened up good. I'm probably better off than I was, but not as well off as I could be. :-)

-- Travis

meek shall inherit the earth. After I'm finished with it.:wq!

Reply to
travis

Oh man... 11 bolts?!?!?! There is supposed to be 22 ;-)

-Brian

: >

: >

: >

: >> >You installed 3 inches of body lift? : >>

: >> Yes, sir. : >>

: >> >

: >> >

: >> >

: >> >

: >> >

: >> >

: >> >> >> shared the following: : >> >> >>

: >> >> >> >

: >> >> >> >Whew! Good thing they mentioned that... imagine the trouble you : >would : >> >have : >> >> >> >had if they didn't! : >> >> >> >Don't you hate it when people don't get sarcasm? : >> >> >> >-Brian : >> >> >> >

: >> >> >> >

: >> >> >> HAHAHA! Easy to laugh about it now, but at the time... grrr... : >> >> >> Here's a couple of shots of how it came out, and then a couple of : >the : >> >> >> bracket we fabbed up to reconnect the linkage. I need to adjust the : >> >> >> clutch a little bit today and get a longer gas filler hose thingie : >> >> >> since the one I have won't reach the gas tank now. Of course they : >> >> >> also forgot to mention that part in the instructions... : >> >> >>

: >> >> >

: >> >> >How much body lift did you install? I'm wondering how much lift it : >> >> >takes to require changing things like clutch linkages & filler hoses. : >> >> >Did you have to adjust your radiator shroud? Anything else? : >> >> >Thanks. : >> >> >TrailMarker. : >> >>

: >> >> 3". Yes, also had to reposition the radiator and shroud. Still need : >> >> to bend the shifter for the transfer case so that I can engage

4-High. : >> >> It's *almost* together now. After adjusting the clutch today I'm very : >> >> happy with how it's coming out. I think it would be a good idea if : >> >> "Performance Accessories," the company that makes the body lift I : >> >> installed, would at least mention the fact that you have to do : >> >> something for the gas tank filler hose and maybe include something for : >> >> the clutch linkage so that you don't have to fab up something like my : >> >> friend and I did. Also the emergency brake cable was stretched to the : >> >> max... I also had to cut behind the tranny shifter and hammer the : >> >> metal to the back to be able to engage 1st and 3rd gear, but the : >> >> instructions sort-of mentioned that. Also had to mess with the : >> >> steering shaft to lengthen it some, but that was no big deal. The : >> >> biggest thing was the clutch linkage. The kit came with a bracket : >> >> that I used, but even after installing it the rod that's connected to : >> >> the clutch pedal indirectly was about 2-3 inches too short for obvious : >> >> reasons. It was no fun, but I'm looking forward to some meatier tires : >> >> now. :-) : >> >>

: >> >>

: >> >> -- : >> >> Travis : >> >>

: >>

: >> -- : >> Travis : >>

>> The meek shall inherit the earth. After I'm finished with it.: >> :wq! : : : -- : Travis :
The meek shall inherit the earth. After I'm finished with it.: :wq!

Reply to
Cherokee-LTD

On Tue, 25 Nov 2003 21:24:46 GMT, "Cherokee-LTD" shared the following:

heh heh Don't do that to me. :-)

-- Travis

meek shall inherit the earth. After I'm finished with it.:wq!

Reply to
travis

I have a spreadsheet that started when I bought my Jeep three years ago. I know everything I have spent, where I got it, and what the part number is... valuable information.

-- JimG

80' CJ-7 258 CID 35" BFG MT on 15x10 Centerlines D44 Rear, Dana 30 Front. SOA 4.56 Gears, LockRight F&R Dana 300 w/4:1 & Currie twin sticks Warn X8000i w/ dual batteries

Reply to
JimG

JimG did pass the time by typing:

I don't have a list of mods, just a list of fuel milage and service. :)

Reply to
DougW

I'm using an HTML table, didn't even think about Excel, probably for the same reason I'm not keeping close track of my receipts; I don't REALLY want to know what the thing is costing me.

Reply to
Simon Juncal

sorry about the time delay for the reply! they actually miss you over there!.....

.....So the Shaggster has bowed out???? That is truly sad!!! Who Bitched about his Jeep posts? Yea, I guess they were OT, but I enjoyed them just as much if not more than some of the other OT posts around here.

I will miss you Shag!!!!

-- Terry B AKA VDUBBS Buggin in Bama

alan.f

You have always bee the sweet, lovable Travis? I thought you got that way since you came over here.

Reply to
CRWLR