Door Lock

Hi all, The driver's side door lock on my '94YJ does not work any longer. It has been a slow death of sometimes working and sometimes not. It doesn't matter if it is with the key or without, it just would not lock or unlock. Now it just won't do anything. I pulled the inside panel last spring (when I took the hard top and doors off) and the little white clips that most people say are the main culprits for failed locks were just fine. I couldn't see anything that was out of place or broken. Now that the hard top and doors are back on I'd like to figure out what is the problem. Any ideas? Thanks H-S-F

Reply to
Help-Slip-Franklin

I would spray it all down with WD40 to clean it and hopefully free the seized pivot point. Then I would grease it up again with a light grease like lithium. They make that in spray cans now too. It sprays on liquid and foams up to grease.

If you watch when you push the lock, you should/might see the hang up point.

Mike

86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail in '00 88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's Canadian Off Road Trips Photos: N>
Reply to
Mike Romain

The linkage is adjustable (near the latch), so it's possible that it has just slipped a notch or three. Closely watching the insides while you try and operate the lock and latch would be a very good idea.

My plastic clips on the inner handle broke, and after replacing them I had a heck of a time getting it to open and lock/unlock properly again. Took a lot of tweaking the adjustment to get it right. :)

Reply to
Garth Almgren