Finally fixing it

I'm finally going to attempt to fix my leaky valve cover on my 85 CJ7

258. From what I've gathered here I should get a new cork gasket and sandwich it between layers of RTV. Couple of questions: What should I use to clean the surfaces that will get the RTV? Is there any brand or type of RTV that is best for this or is it all the same?
Reply to
Jim85CJ

L.W.(ßill)

\

...I hear an aluminum valve cover will help it run quieter and leak free..

...Gareth

Reply to
Gary Tateosian

LOL! You could't resist, could ya?

Scotty '99 TJ Sahara 4.0L I-6 '99 XJ Sport 4.0L I-6 '03 BMW Z4

*** This reply was written using all-natural ingredients ***
Reply to
Scotty

You might get a bit of space if you jack up on the t-case tail.

Otherwise a small 1/4" drive socket with a universal joint will get it.

I have long fingers and can get a box end wrench on that bolt. It's a bugger for sure.

Mike

Jim85CJ wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Reply to
Jim85CJ

Reply to
Jim85CJ

I have 'Really' long arms and hands (6'6" from finger tip to finger tip) and am used to working by feel. Folks are always offering me lights and stuff, and I say, well, 'I' can't see my hands, so what good will a light do me...

Do you have a lowered t-case or something like that? That will for sure mess up the space.

If you are really desperate, you could remove one front engine mount with a jack under the oil pan and drop the front of the engine down some. That might open up the space for you.

Mike

Jim85CJ wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Reply to
Jim85CJ

Are you still running with the computer in the loop?

99% of the vacuum lines can be tossed when the computer is gone.

It still can pass emissions with low numbers if tuned correctly. You either learn how or find an old time mechanic that remembers how to set up a carb. It's not hard to learn.

Oh, I like acetone for the final clean before the RTV. You also have to have the 'ultra' if permatex RTV. This is called 'sensor safe' RTV Silicone.

Regular silicone will instantly kill your O2 sensor, no matter where you use it on the vehicle. If the computer is gone with the nutter bypass, then no worries and you can use the cheap silicone.

Mike

Jim85CJ wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Reply to
Jim85CJ

You do know that an aluminum cover looks better and runs cleaner, right? ;-)

Chris

L.W.(ßill)

Reply to
Jim85CJ

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

Jim85CJ did pass the time by typing:

5hp, 10 if you get one with fins.
Reply to
DougW

I've heard you can also get a 5% torque increase by getting one that is powder coated.

Reply to
L0nD0t.$t0we11

I was trying to save myself from snipped-for-privacy@cox.net, but wouldn't let me go...

| Maybe fifty horsepower: |

| God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O| mailto: snipped-for-privacy@aol.com| | Jim85CJ wrote: || || I thought it stopped leaks and was quieter... If I knew it || made the jeep faster I would have gotten one!!! How many HP || does it add?? LOL

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA...OUCH, my spleen!

Reply to
Joseph P

Reply to