[jeep2diesel] Deisel Jeep Conversions

A project is currently under way to facilitate the conversions of the CJ (and YJ, et al) to diesel power, utilizing various suitable retrofits. If you have any interest in diesel conversions, you are invited to join our non-commercial development group:

and our open web BBS:

We are all putting our heads together.

David Hildebrand Jeep2Diesel.org

Reply to
Dave Hildebrand

L.W.(ßill)

And yet again you continue to be an idiot.

Reply to
Joe

And you likewise.

Reply to
bllsht

Bravo, Bill, any foe of diesel's is a friend of mine!

When I was a VW tech back in the late 70's & early 80's I cursed Dr. Diesel's name every day. Then I became a field rep for VW and went looking for the bastards grave so I could defile his corpse!

My tools are still black from replacing countless cracked blocks, worn cranks, warped heads, fouled injectors, bad injection pumps, sheesh! With the stench of diesel fuel stuck in my nose for years I applauded loudly when GMs junk diesels bit the dust so bad it was all but certain the clattering demons from Hell would never rise again to plague the public..... BUT NO!!! Now someone wants to bring the stinking POS's back from the depths of the infernal regions where they belong. NEVER!!

Reply to
Jerry McG

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

great idea !

Dave Milne

All fair enough points for diesels 25 years ago (although my dad's diesel did 550,000 miles and was still going strong before the car it was in gave up). Modern diesels are completely different ! They are quiet and not smelly (we do have considerably cleaner diesel than you though). I went in my friend's Renault estate diesel last weekend - its a 16' car with a fairly normal 2.2 litre diesel, but it would (and did that weekend !) do in excess of 130mph. The BMW ones are even better ; the BMW 330cd 3 litre has 200bhp, a top speed of 149 with a fuel consumption of 43.5 mpg.

And as for your TDI ...regarding EU 2010 emission legislation:

Cars like the VW Golf TDI will most likely have to be discontinued without expensive upgrades using soot particle filter and NOx catalyst, which may cost more than the engine itself and also penalise the fuel economy. "The diesel will not be abolished", predicts VW boss Bernd Pischetsrieder

Dave Milne

Try reading Road & Track, June'04, pg43 - Test of the Benz E320 CDI. (Unless you prefer to remain a Luddite)

-bob- (13 years of turboDiesel ownership)

Reply to
F. Robert Falbo

Luddites unite.

So you worked on a Diesel designed to be cheap. What'd you expect?

A well designed Diesel is less offensive to me than the rotten-egg smell of catalytic converted gasoline engines.

GM learned a valuable lesson - you must design a Diesel from the ground up. I think we'll find that the new, direct-injection Diesels will actually out perform their Gas brothers, like the new MB E320 CDI.

-bob-

Reply to
F. Robert Falbo

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

Without one they're as gutless as a stone.

Whoopie, clogged injectors, gelled fuel, burned out glow plugs, won't start below 30 degrees F unless plugged into house current. (Golly, aren't you just as excited as a kid on Christmas morning to own a diesel? ) No, I can't think of anything I'd rather NOT own than a diesel. Back in my VW days customers near the Mexican border would buy fuel over there becaus eit was about $.20 a gallon. There was so much sulphur in it the stuff would take out the rings in about 20k miles. Some econmy car! People paid thousands over sticker to get the stupid things, then they depreciated like a meteor. In the mean time they had to put up with the things rattling so bad the dash assys would shake loose, the list is too long.

I don't care if Benz $#!ts a golden egg with this 320 CDI, you'll never get Americans to buy diesels again in large numbers.

Reply to
Jerry McG

I don't think you can't buy a modern diesel without a turbo now - if its optional I bet its old !

Reply to
Dave Milne

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

Who cares. CJ, YJ, TJ, are boxes on wheels. They are not performance vehicles and this arguement is really silly.

Reply to
Peter Parker

You're a bit confused. A Diesel has fantastic low-end torque, which is where you'd normally want it in off-road use. Oh, I forgot... they're so gutless that almost every 18 wheeler uses one.

Never had one in 135K miles. I replaced my injector tips at 125K, and they were all good enough to go another 125K, but I'd already bought the new ones 3 months prior so I changed them and kept the old ones for spares.

Only happened once, at -30F, and my car didn't stop,...it just ran at idle until it warmed up enough to melt the wax... the local station had used straight #2 fuel instead of blended diesel.

I think I had one bad glow plug in 13 years... wow.

That just shows that you don't much about day to day diesel driving. I drove mine every day, even in -30F weather. Mine had a built-in 400W heatplug that I used at home once the weather got below 0F, but I had no AC at work (outside parking lot) and mine never failed to start.

Sulfuric acid will eat ANY engine.

Yeah, Mercedes Benz has a terrible resale value.... NOT.

There you go again, comparing tin-can economy cars to everything else. Most people who rode in my car were amazed how smooth it drove, and how fast it went.

Get Gasoline up to $3/Gal and people will flock to Diesels.

-bob-

Reply to
F. Robert Falbo

If you're saying folks who drive them don't want performance, you're being really silly. I see a lot of complaints here about these vehicles with 4 cylinder engines being gutless, and many useless "mods" to make them better. A diesel will be worse.

Reply to
bllsht

This was precisely the argument used by marketing types at GM, VW, Nissan et al in the late '70's, when the effective price of fuel (adj'd for inflation) was far higher than it is today. By 1982 everyone realized gas was still relatively cheap and that diesels sucked. As a result the auto mfrs couldn't give the damn things away. Until '99 MB always imported a few E & S Class diesels to satisfy that lunatic fringe. They finally gave up, using the V6 & lower jhoodline of the reskinned E-Class as an excuse to cut bait. (And, if you think I'm full of $#!t on this, one of my best friends in the auto industry is the Brand Manager for MB sedans in North America.)

The CDI may run like the clappers, but the reputation of diesels in the USA was set in the outhouse years ago. Even the MBs, reputed to be long distance, low maintenance runners are in reality total PITAs and are dogs on the used market. Large numebrs of North Americans in diesels? Not a CHANCE! A few nuts? ALWAYS!

Reply to
Jerry McG

Bull! The 4cyl is not gutless for 4 wheeling as so many have posted before. Why all of a sudden a selective memory and now a need for speed to look like an ASS in a built up CJ, YJ, TJ with huge tires going 80+ MPH on the highway?

Just because this is a diesel thread?

Hypocrite!!!!!

Reply to
Peter Parker