Finally fixing it

HA HA HA HA HA Jason a guy in are off-road club put one of those on and old Plymouth arrow he uses to drive to work. When he's doing some work on his Jeep and he has had more people was him about it. It is so dammed funny.

Reply to
JIM LAIRD

Jim85CJ

Mine has a baffle below the PCV and the fresh air holes.

Mike

Jim85CJ wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

That usually is a charcoal canister failure or the valve behind the carb on the PCV line.

For starters, check the PCV line carefully. It likes to get soft and collapse at the elbow beside the carb.

Then trace the line to the T fitting or solenoid behind the carb. The solenoid is a failed design and is recalled. The fix is a T fitting.

From this part, trace the other line to the top of the charcoal canister. At idle pinch this line to the canister closed. If the idle changes, the canister is shot.

This effectively shuts down the PCV system and oil will blow.

The canister should only purge when the engine is hot and at speed. It uses a ported vacuum signal via the CTO valve.

Mike

Jim85CJ wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Reply to
Jim85CJ

They tighten down in inch pounds...

I just have the two top center nuts on the rocker bridges holding mine on and it doesn't leak....

I was really careful about cleaning.

I have done others that don't leak too.

Here is a good link on vacuum crap:

Mike

Jim85CJ wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Can anyone tell me where the other end of this hose goes? I can't find an available nipple anywhere... ftp://stuff.dyndns.tv/pub/hose1.jpg

Or what hose attaches to this nipple? I can't find a stray hose (of the correct size). ftp://stuff.dyndns.tv/pub/hose2.jpg

Jim85CJ wrote:

Reply to
Jim85CJ

Reply to
Jim85CJ

My PC isn't getting through your link.

You have it as a FTP? what about www?

Mike

Jim85CJ wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Reply to
Jim85CJ

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

Reply to
Jim85CJ

Reply to
Jim85CJ

Reply to
Jim85CJ

I would think the original is better. That looks like a design compromise on the aluminum cover.

The aftermarket one I bought matched my stock one exactly except for the color, this one is black, the stock one was AMC green.

Mike

Jim85CJ wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Reply to
Jim85CJ

Think on where the oil is coming from inside the engine. It comes out the top of the rockers via a hollow push rod. The rockers then fling the oil up at the valve cover.

The baffle on the stock one picks up air down near the head, the Al one picks up the splash at the top.

Mike

Jim85CJ wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Reply to
Jim85CJ

Well, yes and no, mostly no.

The PCV or CCV systems are balanced.

Basically that means that the flow rate on the PCV suction should match the intake from the air filter and a little extra to suck fumes.

If the cover or the grommets are leaking or if the breather hole suddenly gets 1/3 bigger when you pull the fitting out or the charcoal canister purge line hooked to the PCV line purges at idle, the PCV or CCV gets overpowered and can't suck enough to do it's job.

This leads to oil blowing into the air filter. I just noticed I have to do the CCV plastic line again on our Cherokee. There is oil dripping out the bottom of the air filter box again. I did mine a couple years ago and the CCV is just a tiny hose that plugs easy.

I described in another post to you how to check your canister purge.

Mike

Jim85CJ wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain