HEI conversion

To anyone that has done the HEI on a 258.... What distributor gear did you use? The recommended 304-360 gear (that I have found - don't know the year) has a longer sleeve than the 256 gear. Some of the write-ups talk about grinding down the 258 gear... what exactly does one grind down? the gear part or the shaft? The write-ups also say use 83' or newer 304-360 gear... what is the difference between the 82-83 gear?

-- JimG

80' CJ-7 258 CID 35" BFG MT on 15x10 Centerlines D44 Rear, Dana 30 Front. SOA 4.56 Gears, LockRight F&R Dana 300 w/4:1 & Currie twin sticks Warn X8000i w/ dual batteries
Reply to
JimG

L.W.(ßill)

Thanks Bill, that's one write-up I haven't seen. The gear shown there looks like the one I have found.

JimG

Reply to
JimG

Reply to
Jeepster

UH why didn't you use one from a USED distributor????

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

And "cactuscowboy" wonders why we call them stealerships. I have a friend at a Stealership... he'll give you the best price he can or tell you where to get it cheaper - not just for me, for anybody. I can't stand the parts guys that gouge the man off the street and give 60% off to other shops so they can mark it up and gouge their customers. I'm in favour of everyone making a bit down the line but when you're the guy at the parts counter does the dealer need to keep the whole pie? But I digress...

-Brian

Reply to
Cherokee-LTD

I guess I will make sure I keep the hen's teeth that I currently have. ;-) I do believe that were other options though besides the dealership! later, dave AKA vwdoc1

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

Reply to
Jeepster