how low is low PSI?

How low is low PSI, I drop mine to 20psi (31 10.5 on 8" wheel), but how low can you go before you have trouble with ruber coming off wheel? Does the tire and wheel size matter when you answer this question?

Thanks,

83 CJ 8, a work in progress
out the "XXX" to e-mail me
Reply to
Evan

I could swear the manual for my TJ said it was okay to go down to 15psi in sand but not lower.

Reply to
redrubi

I have an air compressor and a ratchet strap, so I don't care if the tire comes off. I routinely air down to 10 pounds, and sometimes go to 8. I have never rolled a bead.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

on my TJ, stock tires I dropped to about 10 lbs for snow or sand. 15 for rock. my

33" swampers I usually drop to anywhere between 5-20 depending on what we are doing for the day and how hard it is and if I have stockers following me - that is, if I air down at all. If its a newbie run with real easy stuff I dont...it makes it a little more challenging. =) It really depends on what you are doing and what the terrain is. ps - not lost a bead yet.

Reply to
jbjeep

15 psi is fine. I don't think 20 psi is low enough to do much good.

(You can go lower, 12 or even 10, but unless you have a source for air at trai's end, you will have to limp along the highway verry slowly until you find some. With 15, you still have to be careful, and you won't want to go far, but it won't be as squirrely.)

Robert Bills KG6LMV Orange County CA

Robert Bills

Reply to
tbird