Jeep Liberty recalled

Today I read on our local swiss press about a large recall for the liberty (still called cherokee over here).

A link:

Some short detail: CHRYSLER, A unit of DaimlerChrysler AG, said the problem in the front suspension stems from the lower ball joint seal, which could become damaged and eventually result in loss of control.

It looks that the famour 'how to break a hummer' video could have been filmed featuring a Liberty on a paved road...

Markus

Reply to
Markus Baertschi

And here is another article on the same subject:

Here's the meat of it:

"Chrysler Group said Friday it is recalling 318,000 Jeep Liberties because of a problem with the suspension that could cause drivers to lose control. "

"Chrysler said the lower ball joint seal in 2002 and some 2003 Jeep Liberties is wearing away, which could affect the vehicle's suspension. In addition to the 318,000 recalls, Chrysler plans to investigate 120,000 other

2003 Jeep Liberties to make sure they aren't affected."

"Ford said Chrysler started an internal investigation after getting 10 complaints about lower ball joint failures. The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration has received eight complaints about the Jeep Liberty's lower ball joints, including several that failed on new vehicles. "

My girl friend is wanting to buy an 04 Liberty this week, but I don't know now.

Does anyone know why they have had apparently the same problem for 3 years? What takes place during the recall? Are they fixing the problem or just replacing the worn-out part with a new (ready to fail) part? Is this a defective parts or just a design flaw?

Cheers, Jim

Reply to
Play4aBuck

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

It seems that they've had ball joint issues on quite a few of their models.

I had a 99 Dakota that would go through a set every 40k

matt

Reply to
Matt

Reply to
twaldron

Before she signs on the dotted line take one home for the night (any reasonable dealer will do this if you are serious about the car). Spend at least an hour in the seats and see if you are still comfortable. That is the one consistent complaint that I have heard and from the few of the first models I drove it was pretty apparent. They sit something akin to a church pew...without the cushions. Great for 10-20minutes but after that they are horrible. Same complaint from many owners. Otherwise, if the seats are good for you then enjoy the truck. I never did check to see if they updated the seats as time went on. (Btw, it didn't matter if they were cloth or leather, they were equally horrid)

They should be using an updated part to replace the flawed ones.

Reply to
DragonRider

Reply to
attnews

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

"Let's save some big bucks on this axle assembly, no one will ever take these things off road anyway?"

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

"This will make people want to get the Dana 44 ?"

Dave Milne, Scotland

Reply to
Dave Milne

Reply to
twaldron

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

It's a safety feature. You see coil springs make it harder to climb hills, and if you get too high you could fall down. So the coil springs keep you down on the road where it's nice and safe...

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

Reply to
twaldron

What makes you think the "A" frame on the Liberty will crack?

Hummer video...do you have the link handy?

Cheers, Jim

Reply to
Play4aBuck

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

Yep. First order of business was getting rid of that POS D35C in my YJ. The vacuum disconnect crap was next - what a dumb idea.

Terry.

Reply to
Terry Jeffrey

I prefer to call them "cart spring guys" :-)

Dave

Reply to
Dave Milne

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

You mean the coilovers that this Jeep obviously has?

  • * * Matt Macchiarolo
Matt Macchiarolo