"Lights on" chime not working (97 TJ - doors ON)

None of the buzzers asnd bells work, but the dome lights go on and off?

If this is true, then the buzzers and bells have been removed or otherwise bypassed. The dome lights and the buzzers and bells all work from the same switch and fuse.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Have you looked INSIDE the socket where the fuse goes to see if there are any wires. Somebody has found a central location to cut all of that stuff out by snipping a single wire. I don't know how much trouble it would be, but when the fuse is pulled, only one wire in the fuse holder is hot, the other one can be pushed out the back, and in this case there would be no 'lectrical issues and the circuit would be dead even if the fuse was put back in.

The PO could have gotten tricky and added a switch to disable the circuit ... Do you have any switches that don't make sense?

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Reply to
mic canic

LOL! I 'used' to live there..... ;-)

Mike

Steve wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

partly correct...the buzzers and bells don't work but the dome lights only work when turned on using the headlight switch on the dash. The lights DO NOT go on when the door is opened. If these 3 features are all controlled by the #4 fuse then I have to think something has been disabled to kill all 3. I'll check behind the fuse box to see if the wires are still there as suggested.

Reply to
HG97TJ

That fuse controls the buzzer and door switches. The headlight switch is independent of these so it works fine.

Did the previous owner also disable the clutch override so it can start in gear? You might want to check that for safety sake.

Mike

HG97TJ wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

That was it Jeff. I pulled the fuse box out and saw that one of the wires for the #4 fuse was not plugged in all the way in preventing contact to the fuse. Pushed it in and it all works again. I'm guessing that repeated removal and replacement of the fuse by the previous owner caused the wire to get pushed out of the slot. Thanks for the suggestion.

Howie

Reply to
HG97TJ

Wow, good one. Thanks for the follow-up!

Mike

HG97TJ wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

What are the odds that the cold wire would be pushed out of the fuse block?

You can be sure that if it was MY fuse block, the hot lead would have been pushed out, and set the whole mess on fire.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

LOL! I hear you, he was lucky....

There should be a bent clip on the back of the brass fitting that can be bent back out to grab again.

Mike

Jeff Strickland wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Not if there was a fire first ...

I suspect the PO had used his DMM to locate the hot lead to the fuse block for this particular fuse, and forcibly pushed the other lead out the back, then put the fuse back in. In this case, yes he should find a tab to bend around to lock the lead in place.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland