"Lockers" in a Rubi .. ?

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

Engineers didn't make the decision, attorneys did, to avoid the liability of the newbie who engages his lockers in 4HI on a snowcovered road and then loses control and lands in a ditch.

  • * * Matt Macchiarolo
Matt Macchiarolo

As one with a rear Detroit, I do not advise the unwary to go anywhere near such a device for full time on-road use. I know what it's going to do and when, the uninitiated face a wild ride, for sure!

Reply to
Gerald G. McGeorge

I have an ARB in the front on my YJ, it can take awhile to unlock and can be a major PITA on tight trails.

Reply to
Gerald G. McGeorge

I think the engineers had to err on the side of caution. Having worked on the manufacturer side of the auto industry for many years, in the current climate of litigation I find the Rubicon something of a miracle in that the concept got past DCs General Counsel's office. Bravo to DC for having the guts to produce a great Jeep and accept the litigation risk.

Reply to
Gerald G. McGeorge

hi dave, im sure the technical answers have already been explained in the many responses youve gotten already so i just want to ask a question. typically the rubicon appeals to a particular type of jeeper. as such im just curious what motivated you to buy a rubicon over an x, sport, or sahara? the reason i ask is that if you dont know what lockers are, why pay the additional money for them? im not suggesting theres anything "wrong" with buying it, im just wondering why you would spend $6,000 more for features you dont understand or know if you even need/want them.

Reply to
Nathan Collier

here ya go. not only does it eliminate the safety features, but it gives you a different switch for each locker.

Nathan Collier

Sweet.

  • * * Matt Macchiarolo
Matt Macchiarolo

Reply to
twaldron

LOL

I suggest "Ejector Seat" decals.

  • * * Matt Macchiarolo
Matt Macchiarolo

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

The only part of the Rubi's locker switch cycle I don't understand is how you cycle them off. When cycling them on I know it goes rear first, front second. Do they cycle off in reverse order?

Reply to
Gerald G. McGeorge

The Detroit can unlock on its own if one wheel need to spin faster. The manual locker in the Rubicon will not do that. If you lock the manual locker on the rubicon while on dry pavement some part of your axle will break into pieces very quickly.

In addition the Rubicon has a torque-sensing limited slip installed which can not ever be de-activated; that and 4wd-hi should be sufficient for any on-road traction problem that could ever exist.

I'm sav> As one with a rear Detroit, I do not advise the unwary to go anywhere near

Reply to
Tim Hayes

Reply to
Will Honea

You could even safety wire and lead seal them off lol. (those of you who worked on military aircraft and nukes know what Im talking about.) KH

Reply to
Kevin in San Diego

Or, use the Fire Detect buttons that had the plastic cover over them ...

Reply to
CRWLR

I like the missile launch styles. Either the big red flap with the toggle under it, or the hollywood style big plastic cover with yellow stripes and the big red pushbutton. Should be able to get the red metal flapped ones at a military surplus electronics outlet...used for everything from missile consoles to aircraft.

Approximately 10/30/03 09:25, CRWLR uttered for posterity:

Reply to
Lon Stowell

How about dual keys. You and your passenger can each hold one key and on the count of "three", you both turn the keys. Of course, you need to write a protocol for it and keep it locked up in your glove compartment in a sealed envelope. The glove compartment key needs to be held by your Mom on a chain around her neck... ;-)

Reply to
TJim

Reply to
Will Honea

Hi Dave:

Go to:

Very good explanations of how differentials work and how 4-wheel drive systems work. This should be MUST READING for a beginner.

Enjoy your Rubi!

Tom

Reply to
mabar