Lowering the windshield

you can't trust dictionaries too much :

jeep n : a car suitable for traveling over rough terrain [syn: landrover]

Dave Milne, Scotland '99 TJ 4.0 Sahara

: > This must be why there are so many CJ's rolling around with no rust. I'm : > curious do you do the whole "real jeep" thing as a lark? Or have you : > actually managed to maintain the high school level mentality that says : > anything you don't like isn't "real"? : >

: > Just what is a "real" jeep anyway? Please explain; also can you explain : > why an AMC made Jeep is a "real Jeep" when so many different : > manufacturers have made Jeeps, many of them before AMC?

Reply to
Dave Milne

Bill, coming from the Land of Rain, that is complete horseshit !! You are right about never finding one though - they have all rusted away ...

Dave Milne, Scotland '99 TJ 4.0 Sahara

: > HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA : > ROTFLMAO

Reply to
Dave Milne

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

Semi tractors can last a couple million miles but they get 100 to 300 thousand miles put on them a year... It has less than nothing to do with rust prevention. Most major carriers wont even hire an owner op with a truck that's older than 6 or 7 years (due to reliability, insurance and company image considerations).

Reply to
Simon Juncal

I just find it fascinating that some jeep ludite is on this NG who's apparently a grown man but who still uses terms like "real" to describe his subjective belief in the superiority of what he likes/owns versus what other people like/own. I don't know about anyone else but I'm far from pissed.

Reply to
Simon Juncal

You SOUND pissed... You also need a sense of humor.

Reply to
Joe

I'm laughing right now... how in the world do you sound pissed in text with not one single exclamation mark or capitalized word?

Reply to
Simon Juncal

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

It's not what you say.........it's how you say it!

Reply to
Carlo Jr.

The hinges on my `79 CJ-5 are under a fair bit of tension. The hinges look like they were designed for a windshield frame that runs straight up (1975 and earlier, perhaps?), but for the 1976-1980 model years the windshield frame tapers, pulling the hinge joint towards the center. Even brand new they bind a bit when installed.

Reply to
Lee Ayrton

"a small general-purpose motor vehicle with 80-inch wheelbase, 1/4-ton capacity, and four-wheel drive used by the U.S. army in World War II; also : a similar but larger and more powerful U.S. army vehicle "

OK, that rules out all CJs and YJs and TJs and FSJs and FCs, etc. None of these were used by the U.S. army during WWII. In fact, I believe it rules out any vehicle that actually says "Jeep" on it!

What is "a similar but larger and more powerful U.S. army vehicle "? A Humvee?

Reply to
TJim

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

oh there are a few about because people are treating them as classics, but the prices are rising fast as demand outstrips supply.

Reply to
Dave Milne

Or rather: not what I wrote, but how some people read it. I'm poking fun at Bill, if you want to read it as being pissed off then knock yourself out but I don't take Bill (or anyone else on usenet) seriously enough to get pissed at them. Irritation is about the most I can manage anymore.

Reply to
Simon Juncal

Maybe the fact that you started another complete thread on the topic?

Reply to
Joe

or bend the frame like I did, but I GOT IT TO LAY DOWN. If it jams force it, if it breaks - it needed replacing anyway! Mike

Reply to
MikeG

Bill -are you saying that original CJ hard doors had drain holes in the bottom? Mine doesn't seem to have any. I wonder if I should get a small drill bit and open a hole in the bottom to prevent rusting from the inside?

Reply to
Joshua Nelson

Simon...

This group is like any other usenet forum: Most people are polite and helpful, but there are a handful of bullies who enjoy making trouble for others. I've learned that it's best to just ignore the rude and unhelpful ones, and relatively quickly they decide to leave you alone and pick on someone else.

Also, for what it's worth, Bill H. is not one of the truly mean-spirited ones. He can come off a bit sanctimonious at times but he does seem to know what he's talking about when it comes to jeeps, and he was probably just pulling your chain good-naturedly.

Reply to
Joshua Nelson

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)