Novak has pulled their heads out-a little

The torque and economy mean that in most countries if it isn't diesel it isn't a off road vehicle. Unless propane is dirt cheap. Propane is what Romain needs so his jeep club can sniff away to their hearts' content. And you can run a barbecue grill off it too.

Reply to
Bret Ludwig

Our USofA has decreed that sulfur must be removed as of mumble mumble so those new urea injecting style diesels can run on it. Rumor is that benz may be making some much bigger diesels available soon now--possibly to stay in competition with the big V-10s available from the VW group.

If you really want high rpm torque, put in a diesel-electric where the electric motors have max torque at stall. And put one in for each wheel. Or put in a turbine which can generate enough torque to ruin the bearings on an Indy Racer.

Mike Romain proclaimed:

Reply to
Lon

Run bio diesel.

Earle Horton proclaimed:

Reply to
Lon

On a clear day... and the skies are such a pretty blend of amber and brown tones.

L.W. (Bill) Hughes III proclaimed:

Reply to
Lon

Bio diesel sounds great on paper but it competes with food and worse, beer. Maybe if food were more expensive it would help the obesity "epidemic" in this country.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

How's the Deutz Wrangler with oil-cooled cab heater coming? People really want to know.

Cheers,

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

It's easy to get all the common rail engines over here-junkyards over there will crate them up complete with ECM and harnesses. And if you get rid of the catalysts, particulate traps and EGR they will burn regular fuel. The EPA has nothing to say about it if you tell them it's for a race car or an experimental aircraft at Customs. EPA is prohibited from messing with those. If you are going into an older chassis, KKKalifornia can be stumped if the engine is a "Service Replacement Block" engine. Which since Euro engines do not have a US format VIN they all are. You just have to be smarter than the average bear.

That's a myth that has persisted forty years now! The four wheel drive STP racer (which took the pole on a junk unairworthy engine PWC gave Granatelli to shut him up) broke bearings because of exceedingly poor chassis design, NOT because of the mighty torque of the PT6A. They refused to put U-joints at the transfer case.

I am kind of surprised that with all the junk unairworthy Allison and Lycoming helo engines floating on the surplus market we haven't seen more in off road recreational use.

Reply to
Bret Ludwig

We have a lot of farmland not in production because the government pays for its nonuse. Else farmers would overproduce. Biofuels will probably raise commodity prices a little, but the price you pay at the supermarket is not going to be much affected. I expect hemp will be put back once they develop a version which looks different than the THC producing kind so the booze lobby does not stop it.

Reply to
Bret Ludwig

Well, I've decided it's not going into a Wrangler. I've got something different planned, and the engine is mostly together. But using the oil cooler for cab heat is not a good idea: I bought a Webasto diesel fuel burning heater from a truck junkyard that will put out colossal heat on a quart of fuel an hour.

Reply to
Bret Ludwig

Wow, so now you are saying it is cool to import a stinkpot and run it with all the pollution stuff taken off.

So it would appear you actually like the black smoke belching stink pots that can't pass real pollution controls...

Have you ever had the misfortune to be behind one running our high sulfur fuel? It is an 'experience' hard to describe....

Mike

86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail > >> Our USofA has decreed that sulfur must be removed as of mumble mumble so
Reply to
Mike Romain

"Something different planned", uh, huh. A fuel burning cab heater is OK if you pay attention to maintenance. Mechanics that can rebuild an engine or an automatic transmission get all thumbs when faced with one.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

Biofuels also compete with food production for petroleum...

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

Apparently, we are down to 15 ppm in the States now. You fellows will catch up soon, maybe. As far as I know, you can't get a "race car or an experimental aircraft" engine into a road vehicle, unless of course you live in the boonies like where I live. I guess with the train belching coal fire smoke all summer long no one would notice.

Earle

now--possibly

Reply to
Earle Horton

Reply to
L.W. (Bill) Hughes III

Reply to
L.W. (Bill) Hughes III

Reply to
L.W. (Bill) Hughes III

Reply to
L.W. (Bill) Hughes III

Reply to
L.W. (Bill) Hughes III

And for all 2007MY diesel engines. Around here it's all you can buy now.

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

We can burn firewood, coal, any damn thing.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton