NV3550 first gear failure. Need opinions.

Wrong Bill Americans were driving front wheel drive cars since 1966 The Oldsmobile Toronado, which reintroduced front-drive to the U.S. market in 1966, also used a longitudinal engine placement for its V-8, coupled with an unusual "split" transmission, which turned the engine power 90 degrees. The driveline was set well behind the centerpoint of the wheels, however, for better weight distribution. (Consequently, it was sometimes called the Mafia car, because it was "all hood").

The Cadillac Eldorado, with front wheel drive introduced in 1967, holds the record for the largest engine in a front wheel drive production vehicle, at

8.2 liters (The 1970 edition). The Cadillac Eldorado continued to be the only front wheel drive offering from Cadillac until 1980, when the front wheel drive Cadillac Seville was introduced. Reasons cited for the enormous engine are smoothness due to the inertia of the engine soaking up much of the vibration caused by low milling tolerances of the era, resulting in a very smooth ride.

The changeover of cars in the US to front wheel drive began in earnest in the 1980s, with the introduction of the compact Chevrolet Citation probably marking the real beginning, and the 1986 introduction of the Ford Taurus bringing front wheel drive to prominence in mid-size cars. By the mid 1980s most formerly rear wheel drive Japanese models were front wheel drive, and by the mid 1990s most American brands only sold a handful of rear wheel drive models. Some suggest that the introduction of the Volkswagen Rabbit in

1974 led to Detroit's Big Three to market the FF layout; Chrysler's vehicle lineup was 100% FF by decade's end. GM followed Chrysler in the mid-1990s when their vehicle lineup was FF (with the exception of the Corvette and F-body lineup).

The vast majority of front wheel drive vehicles today use the transversely mounted engine with "end-on" mounted transmission, driving the front wheels via driveshafts linked via Constant Velocity (CV) joints. This configuration was made popular by the Fiat 128 of 1969. The 1959 Mini, while a pioneering transverse front wheel drive vehicle, used a substantially different arrangement with the transmission in the sump of the engine.

Reply to
Coasty

L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

"PUNY" by itself is subjective much as an asumption and there fore has no true meaning except by the "PUNYER"

Reply to
Coasty

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

I wouldn't call them anything, they are different you cannot compare apples to oranges.

Reply to
Coasty

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Something you are well experienced with.

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

Bill,

You asked Coasty, "You ever hear of a full size Bronco with a stick?" earlier in this thread. When I replied, I should have replied, "Yes, I have, I know someone who had one". I should not has said it was a 5-speed, I don't know what it was, but it was a MANUAL TRANSMISSION. It's entirly possible it was a 5-speed, since it MAY have been an '89 (I remember it was the second body style for the FS Bronco and it did have a V8), and 5sp manual was introduced in '88:

But in fact I am not sure, he sold it a couple years ago.

You can spout off on those Pearl-Harbor-bombers all you want about it, but like it or not, there it is. I guess you'll have to admit the FS Bronco wasn't a "real truck" after all.

What do front wheel drive cars have to do with fullsize Broncos? Nothing, except in your mind. Off on one of your pathetic tangents. Time to adjust the meds again.

Matt Macchiarolo

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Bill,

In most of the country (rust belt) you cannot buy second hand "real Jeeps" that are in good condition. What is he to do?

Reply to
Billy Ray

You're thinking of Nathan Collier...all the ones I buy I keep...

;-)

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

Me either, I traded in my TJ for a LJ. :-)

Patrick ?Ô

Reply to
Patrick Ô¿Ô