O.T. gas tank??

Hello Group Sorry this isn't really Jeep related but I wonder if anyone has any ideas on how to remedy a problem I'm having with a metal gas tank for a yamaha gas generator. The inside of the metal tank is flaking rust which in turn clogs up the carburetor Buying a new tank is way to expensive. I wonder if you can use a type of paint or something to prevent the metal from flaking rust Thanks in advance for any ideas Cheers Frank

Reply to
FrankW

Check out Bike shops. They sell an epoxy kit for sealing the insides of rusty gas tanks. There was an AC delco shop up the road that even offered the finished job for $75.00 on vehicle gas tanks.

Mike

FrankW wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Take the tank off and take it to a radiator shop who will hot tank it. Then a sealer or slosh compound may be used but I would only use one that is alcohol proof.

Reply to
Steelgtr62

i was just going to say the same thing :) my brother just did this to an old bike he's working on- the kit is 3 parts: 1st part dissolves the rust,

2nd part neutralizes the part 1, 3rd part coats the inside of the tank. the kit was about $30, IIRC.

Reply to
Chuck Bremer

Reply to
FrankW

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

I certainly wouldn't use the kit they sell then....

I have never heard that and I used to work for a classic Vespa Scooter shop that recommended it on the old bikes.

As someone else mentioned, maybe try an inline gas filter.

Mike

FrankW wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

I have used gas tank sealant on a truck tank and a motorcycle tank and never had a bit of trouble afterwards. It is _critical_ that you prep the tank according to the instructions with the sealant. I suggest a handful of gravel and some soapy water to start with - shake the heck out of it. The rocks will knock most of the loose rust off. Then you can rinse it out and prep it with the proper chemical.

Make sure the inside is really dry before sealing - blow it out with compressed air to make sure, then set it outside in the sun for a while

It's not a fun job, but it does work.

You can also check with a speed shop - lots of hot-rodders have to retstore an old rusted tank.

And then, of course, there is your friend Google:

John

John Davies TLCA 14732

'96 Lexus LX450 '00 Audi A4 1.8T quattro Spokane WA USA

Reply to
John Davies

Alright guys, an old biker here. Use dish soap, water and gravel (BBs, steel shot for shotgun shells, glass beads for sandblaster, etc.) to get the loose rust out. Then go to Home Depot and get a bottle of perchloric acid or muriatic acid. Drain the tank, rinse well and add a small quantity of the acid. DO NOT breathe the fumes, they are dangerous! Put an old gas cap on and slosh the acid around the tank so that the inside is coated with the acid. Let it set for 30 minutes. Rinse and repeat until the metal inside is free of rust (water will dilute whatever acid is not neutralized to the point where it is safe. This is exactly what the directions on the kit will tell you to do). Now is the time to use the two-part sealer. You can buy this at most motorcycle shops, some auto parts stores or at

and type in keyword "gas tank sealer". I use the stuff from Eastwood, it just seems to do a better job. Follow the directions. You do not need the entire kit, save yourself some money, the cleaner in the kit is perchloric acid and it is cheaper at Home Depot. I have a Harley that I treated in this manner twelve years ago, it is ridden daily, and I have yet to have a problem with it. Fuel filters are always a good idea (but I have had the same one for eight years and there is still not any rust in it).

Later,

Moon

Reply to
JD Moon