OT: ATV Rage

Not really OT, but no Jeeps involved.

"Silverton man victim of ATV rage. County struggles to deal with backcountry drivers." Broken leg, trespassers on ATVs, nasty stuff.

We have practically no law enforcement here, but people do get fed up when this sort of thing happens. The town was considering an ordinance change to let people drive these things into town, but I don't know what will happen to that now. Personally, I would like to see license plates on anything that uses our county roads.

Play safe.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

Thats outrageous!!!!!! I feel for that guy. It takes someone exceptionally stupid to do something like that, and then just ride off and leave him laying there. I sure hope the other rider comes foward with info, even if anonyomously.

-jenn

Reply to
jbjeep

Reply to
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

In Colorado the state constitution theoretically gives one the right to shoot trespassers on private property, but because of liberal influences in the legislature you do have to fence it and put up signs, before you can shoot them. I don't want to see the entire valley fenced in, but barbed wire does have a certain "Western" look and charm to it. What height would you suggest for optimal effect against ATVs and riders?

Earle

liberals

with backcountry drivers."

an

but I

like

Reply to
Earle Horton

Well at least the topic doesn't involve washed-up actresses.

Like with all activities, a few bad apples spoil the batch, and pretty soon no one will be able to do what they love because a few yahoos f*ck it up for everyone.

I have to wonder how many six-packs were consumed during those two guys' outing?

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo
40" of barbed wire with the prerequisite no tresspassing signs, and then 10 feet inside the property line, a high-tension piano wire about neck-level for an ATV rider....
Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

Reply to
Will Honea

Earle, The guys on the ATV's should hang. Both of them. Please let us know if they catch them.

Carl

Reply to
Carl

Kind of hard on the wildlife and needs rebuiling every spring. Good thing those jerks left, a hanging wouldhave been in order.

Reply to
Stupendous Man

might as well, its working just fine in montana -

Nathan W. Collier

? what wildlife is harmed by barbed wire fencing? mule deer can clear a 6' fence without even running. antelope too.

Reply to
Nathan W. Collier

Reply to
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

Reply to
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

one strand, approx 3.5 feet up.

-jenn

Reply to
jbjeep

A noise activated land mine would be nice ! Could embed them in the roads to take out the ricers as well.

Dave

Reply to
Dave Milne

This is cool, but our state is taking the approach that counties can handle this on their own. This of course has its good side, and its bad side. The locals are taking the approach that they don't want to hurt any tourist's "feelings", because they might not come back. I'm from Back East and I know that the more restrictions, permits, regulations, etc. there are, the more money tourists will spend. The county commissioners are a drunk, a tree hugger who sells stuff made out of feathers to the tourists, and another drunk. One of the drawbacks to representative government, is that idiots will insist on being represented by idiots.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

lol......i dont see how anybody can argue that.

Reply to
Nathan W. Collier

(not a reply to dave specifically)

i understand the sentiment (strategically placed wires, etc.) but keep in mind that for every asshole ATV rider who is trespassing on purpose, there are many more who trespass completely unknowingly. many trail systems are poorly marked. its easy to get confused and way off course (especially in vast rural areas). it could also be an LEO on an ATV who is on your property without your permission looking for a missing child......or perhaps chasing a really bad guy. instead of booby trapping your property (placing the innocent at risk of injury, and your self at great liability), proper fencing will do the trick.

Reply to
Nathan W. Collier

I agree. Build a big fence, walk softly, and carry a .45.

Carl

Reply to
Carl

More likely to be effective with a .264 Winchester or 7mm Remington Magnum and a long bull barrel. Lacking a .50 Cal sniper of course.

L.W.(Bill) Hughes III proclaimed:

Reply to
Lon