OT: CB communication and motorcycles

OFF TOPIC: before anyone grills me, I know this is not a motorcycle group. I know this isn't a CB group. But I do have a JEEP! Not a real Jeep, it's a TJ. And by lurking at this newsgroup I know you guys have a great knowledge of CBs and I need to ask a question that could not be answered on the MC NG. Thank you ahead of time for your info ~D

I'm wondering why motorcycle CB kits are so expensive. I was considering wiring a standard / cheap CB to the wiring I already have with 2 removable 50 watt speakers. I understand there are noise canceling mics. but I'm not planning on doing a lot of speaking, but would be nice to hear any chatter amongst the ride leader / tail gunner. Is it possible, or am I missing some amazingly obvious reason why motorcycle CB's are so expensive. I can easily fit a small CB in my saddle bags, mounting an antenna to my luggage rack would be easy, other than a noise canceling mic pretty simple set up. right? ~D

Reply to
Dave

I have a J & M unit on my bike, it is great. Why there are no competitors i don't know. One of my friends mounted a standard hand-held unit on his bike and it worked ok, but I couldn't hear him when the wind noise got high over about 40 mph. His radio shack mic sucked. With a little rewiring a j&m headset could be adapted, but they are $200. I got the premium set, and they play music with much higher quality than a set of earbuds plugged into the same mp3 unit.

Reply to
Stupendous Man

CB's made for motorcycles are expensive because they integrate into the bike's radio system. They are made to be used with helmet headsets. When a signal comes in on the CB, the radio/stereo system cuts off so you can hear the CB. That said, you can always use a small CB on a bike with just a hand mike and the CB's speaker. If you travel in a group though, loud speakers get annoying real fast.

Dick

Reply to
Dick

I use a GMRS/FRS Chatterbox. Sounds better than a CB, plus it's small/compact, noise cancelling, and works well with my sportbikes as well as my dual sport. You can plug your passenger into the same box, or an mp3 player, or even some cellphones. I don't feel they are expensive.

tw _____________________________________________________________________

2003 TJ Rubicon * 2001 XJ Sport * 1971 Bill Stroppe Baja Bronco

"There is a very fine line between 'hobby' and 'mental illness'."

Pronunciation: 'jEp Function: noun Date: 1940

Etymology: from g. p. (G= 'Government' P= '80 > OFF TOPIC: before anyone grills me, I know this is not a motorcycle

Reply to
twaldron

BLASPHEMER !

;-)

[snip]
Reply to
noneyabusiness

The FRS freq radios are better, but you can't talk to the majority of motorcyclists on air who are on factory units from Honda and Harley . One of J&Ms engineers told me that they are probably (but i didn't hear it from him) ;-) going to release a cb/frs unit this year.

Reply to
Stupendous Man

Well I found an old CB I had and surprise to me, it works, and borrowed an antenna from my dad, I'll be able to test this quickly and easily... I'll post how it's going when I find out ~D THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR INPUT... if anyone has anything else to add... please do. ~D

Reply to
Dave

I don't know what kind of bike you have, but on our Honda GoldWing, we used the luggage rack as a base for the antenna. I found a mirror mount type of clamp that worked perfectly to clamp onto one of the bars on the rack. You also need to run a ground from the rack to the frame of the motorcycle. The groundplane effect from a motorcycle is very small. You need all the help you can get.

Dick

Reply to
Dick