OT newsreader questions

All

I been reading and posting here the past few years using google groups via my browser. I'm sick of the trolls and need to killfile them. What newsreader do you guys use. I have xnews put just dont like the interface.

Reply to
ufatbastehd

I use Thunderbird (the email client that goes with Firefox), for both email and newsgroups and it works fine for regular newsgroups.

If you get into binary newsgroups with big files you will want something like Agent.

Jeff DeWitt

ufatbastehd wrote:

Reply to
Jeffrey DeWitt

I have always used outlook express through my high speed internet provider. Never had any problems, and the interface is very user friendly.

Carl

Reply to
Carl

I use OE too. Loads of people dislike it, but I have tried a gob of others and prefer the way it handles my email and newsgroups in one tight little package. It's easy to filter unwanted messages, and that's a good thing! Oh AND... it plays well with AV software too.

You may want to look at everything you have seen offered, and then make your choice based on your personal requirements.

Kate

Reply to
Kate

Thnaks all I'm trying Mozilla. Don't know why I never thought to try it. Ive been using Thunderbird for quite some time as my e-mail client.I've got issues with Outlook.

Reply to
ufatbasted

Outlook Express. No brainer. One thing Microsoft did right.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

"ufatbasted" wrote in

OUTLOOK and Outlook Express, are two COMPLETELY different animals. I don't much like Outlook either but OE is the news handler if you are using Outlook.

Kate

Reply to
Kate

My issue is more with Microsoft products, Being an aging hippy, its my little revolution. I wont use IE either.

Reply to
ufatbasted

I'm no hippie but I try to keep my use of Microsoft products to a minimum, and Firefox/Thunderbird really does work well.

There is also a great alternative to Office, Open Office. It is compatible with MS office, but it has two big advantages, it's not a MS product and the price is right, FREE!

http://www.> Kate wrote:

Reply to
Jeffrey DeWitt

free) Outlook Express, Gravity

$) Agent

Also, hamster (a local news spool) can be set up to filter on more than what any of the above can do.

Reply to
DougW

I've been living work-free for eleven years thanks to people who buy Microsoft products. I guess it would be ungrateful not to use them too.

Outlook is a completely different animal from Outlook Express. It doesn't even read news. When I was at Microsoft, everyone was using Outlook Express. I could never figure why Outlook exists.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

Mozilla Thunderbird Version 2 beta 1. And since we're OT here, Firefox

2.0.0.1 for a browser. And a L> All
Reply to
Frank_v7.0

I still like and use the Netscape 4.79 'communicator' interface for mail and news. I use the latest Netscape Browser (firefox I think?) for the WWW.

The communicator window will allow just about anything easily including posting in text only and the ability to decode HTML inline. It doesn't decode that Yenc garbage though.... Or get jumped by junk windows if you turn off a switch to enable java in mail and news.

I hear thunderbird 'might' be the updated version of communicator but haven't bothered to try it.

Mike

Mike Romain

Reply to
Frank_v7.0

I'm an AGING Hippy. No more anti US Establishmentaryinism BS for me. No more hair either!!! :-) Now a fierce pride for my country, to the point my wife has asked me to pull it back a bit.That probally won't happen though. Yet a willingness to try something other than Microsoft or Apple for that matter when it suits me. Still try to buck the system now and then.

Posting now using Thunderbird, so far so good. If I dont like it I'll try the other non Microsoft news readers mentioned in this thread

Thanks all for the input

Reply to
ufatbasted

Reply to
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

I also like how outlook express juggles all my newsgroups and e-mail accounts in one easy to use package.

Carl

Reply to
Carl

I use groups.google.com/group/rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

With OE, you have to download all the news messages, the new junk, etc.

Mike

Reply to
Mike

Mike, thats what the orginal poster is using now and wants to get away from.

Jeff DeWitt

Mike wrote:

Reply to
Jeffrey DeWitt

We each have our own windmills to tilt.

Personally, Big Bill is one of my heroes.

Yup... sure is. Kate

Reply to
Kate