OT newsreader questions

That's one of the things I like too. The easy way you can drag and drop with email, choices of plain or enhanced formats to insert photos or attachments. Yup OE is my software of choice.

Reply to
Kate

No, no you don't . It just dowmloads the hedders. It doesn't download the message until you click on it to display it. It's all in the settings.

Kate

Reply to
Kate

He said he is using his browser, didn't say OE....

Reply to
Kate

Bill Hughes?

Reply to
ufatbasted

LMAO!

Reply to
bllsht

Don't know why you don't like the interface but you can't find a newsreader better at scoring and killfiling than Xnews.

Reply to
XS11E

Well, I am trying out thunderbird vs the old Netscape Communicator 4.79 which I like a lot and... well.... not sure yet.

It is way too 'flashy' with icons for everything. I am slowly weeding that out, but still...

The headers are far too big so the view page is much smaller. Even in text the header bars are fat pigs that take up way too much space. HTML size, not a text line...

The mail and news is all crammed into one main window and I haven't figured out yet how to make one for each like the old one did so I can just flip between the groups I have open and the email by tagging the bottom bar.

The email 'here' bottom row arrow down tag doesn't open the email window like 4.79 does.

The layout is crowded even still.

Still not sure if I am posting in html or text!

I will play around with it for a while, but....

Tried Xnews, don't like it much either, but am getting to learn it too just because I have nothing else to do.

I don't use filters. I don't want to use filters, so that aspect of any reader is not a plus or minus for me. I seem to be one of the few that quote the Charter to Spammers, with quite good results by the way, most email me back privately saying they won't continue. There are some however....

Mike

86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail > All
Reply to
Mike Romain

Have you tried Seamonkey? In My Non Humble Opinion, it resembles Mozilla 1.7.x more than FireFox is. In classic mode is reasonably close to old Communicator--except that both Mozilla 1.x and Seamonkey have far more compliant HTML and CSS support.

Plus if you don't like their setup, you can use advanced preferences and pretty much make it do as you please.

Mike Romain proclaimed:

Reply to
Lon

"ufatbasted" wrote

Uhh... No.

Bill Gates - you dope.

Reply to
Kate

I don't know either but I'm not comfortable with it. I really liked google groups through the browser, but no killfile. I still have it installed an will play around with it and thunderbird, so far thunderbird is not so bad. May try seamonkey as another poster suggested, really like the name!

Reply to
ufatbastehd

HaHa Gotcha!

Reply to
ufatbasted

I just downloaded it and already like it better than thunderbird and xnews already. Plan on only using it for news though, I;m happy wiht my browser and email programs

L> Have you tried Seamonkey? In My Non Humble Opinion, it resembles

Reply to
ufatbastehd

OK, I'm gonna look like a retard - I'm trying to switch from google groups and start using Thunderbird, but I don't know what newsgroup server to type in. I tried putting rec.autos.maker.jeep+willys - that didn't work, so I tried looking through all the info on google but only came up with the google feed. I'm not computer illiterate, I'm just new to usenet. So somebody please help me out so I can stop feeling like an idiot.

Reply to
The Merg

rec.autos.maker.jeep+willys is the name of the group

Your newsgroup server is the server your ISP uses for news. You can contact your ISP for the server name, of go to their website, it should be listed under support or in the FAQs.

It's somthing live: news-server.aol.com

The Merg wrote:

Reply to
ufatbastehd

Well, you could be screwed. My ISP decided to just up and drop the newsgroup feed and still charge the same flat rate for the internet and long distance. I threatened to quit them for the competition, so they found me a 'deal' that turns out $15.00 cheaper a month which is what I now have to pay a 3rd party to hook up to their newsfeed.

You are going to have to contact your ISP to see if they have a feed or not. Google must be doing a great business because all the big Canadian ISP's dumped newsgroups so people use the HTML feed as bad and as slow as it is.

At least with the pay feed, I get pretty instant posts and updates.

Mike

86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail > OK, I'm gonna look like a retard - I'm trying to switch from google
Reply to
Mike Romain

You should be aware that a lot of long time Usenet people automatically killfile anyone posting from GG.

XS11E

Well that's certainly no good - I'm attempting to switch, but I just don't know what I'm doing, hence me asking for help.

What program do Mac users usually run? My desktop is a Dell, so I'm trying Thunderbird, but with dial-up I'm afraid I won't be able to find a feed. I usually use my brother's Ibook, which gets wireless from our neighbors (don't worry, they know, so we're not 'really' stealing it). Any suggestions?

lot of long time Usenet people automatically

Reply to
The Merg

It is not a matter of what program to use, it is a matter of having access to a server. If your neighbor's ISP service offers Usenet, maybe he will give you the address and password. You then can use any number of programs to view the feed.

Mike

86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail >> You should be aware that a lot of long time Usenet people automatically

lot of long time Usenet people automatically

Reply to
Mike Romain

a lot of long time Usenet people automatically

Reply to
The Merg

Road Runner (news-server.nc.rr.com) recently "upgraded" it's newsgroup service, it's the same sort of upgrade that you'd get if you went from a Pinto to a Yugo.

As you can tell I'm not impressed by the "upgrade", nor am I impressed by their response to my complaints.

Jeff DeWitt

Mike Roma> Well, you could be screwed. My ISP decided to just up and drop the

Reply to
Jeffrey DeWitt