OT: U-hall -- Explorer -- Venting

We are moving, Tried to get a u-Hall, and the SOB's don't rent trailers to folks driving Explorers any more. Did you folks know that?

Why is it?

Guess i Need to find a Ryder truck, I am sure as hell not going back to U-hall.

I asked specifically, and they said if I had come in my 83 CJ, w/ 6" lift and home made bumper, they would have let me have one. or if I had a hitch on my wifes accord. Guess my V8 2000 explorer w/ Class VI hitch an't good enough.

part that made me the most mad, in the pic's behind the counter showing the size of the trailers, one was hooked up to an explore. . .

Maybe I'll go buy one, Should have years ago.

83 CJ 8, a work in progress
out the "XXX" to e-mail me
Reply to
Evan

L.W.(ßill)

Reply to
Roy J

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

A car hauler can be set up with 4x8 particle board sides, and makes a pretty good box trailer.

Reply to
Paul Calman

In news: snipped-for-privacy@cox.net, L.W. (ßill) Hughes III from was injured because:

| You of course know UHaul has never rented to a TJ rag top. | God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O | mailto: snipped-for-privacy@aol.com

True? Details. Or heresay?

Reply to
Joseph P

Reply to
Will Honea

They refused to rent me a trailer for my 02 TJ w/ soft top. said it was too dangerous. I just borrowed my friends hardtop and went to another location.

Reply to
Phinz

Yeah, it was posted here a while back.

They are a bunch of sorry pricks.

---------------------------------------------------- Del Rawlins- del@_kills_spammers_rawlinsbrothers.org Remove _kills_spammers_ to reply via email. Unofficial Bearhawk FAQ website:

Del Rawlins

I also vented on the Exsplore new group. it was pointed out that they will rent to a Mountiner or Navaho.

83 CJ 8, a work in progress
out the "XXX" to e-mail me
Reply to
Evan

Yep they won't rent trailers to anyone w/a ragtop. My friend had a convertible they said no way.

Wblane

What's the point of going to another location if you borrowed a hardtop?

Reply to
Hrd

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

True.

The best I can figure after running that buy lots of folks is it's a carbon monoxide issue. When you pull a trailer, the exhaust vortexes big time between the trailer and the vehicle, especially a square back one like a Wrangler. Soft tops leak fumes through zippers, snaps, etc...

Mike

Joseph P wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Not true. I rented a U-Haul trailer from Chicago to Texas and pulled it with my soft top Wrangler. The guy at the U-Haul place knew he was renting to a soft top Jeep because I specifically asked.

It may be U-Haul's "official policy" but it is not followed universally by all of their outlets.

Tirya

Reply to
Tirya

I just rented a uhaul trailer with my hard top tj. If i had had the soft top on, they wouldnt have noticed. The nasty guy at the rental outlet i was sent to by uhaul.com just said its the small trailer in the back. When I went to walk away he yells at me saying i still have papers to sign and looks at me like im a complete idiot. So we get out to the trailer in the back, the light hookup is four small independent male plugs, not anything like ive ever seen before. Luckily, the guy says he still has an adapter for me, otherwise i would have been out of luck. How nice of him. Kinda funny since i put in that i would be towing it with my personal vehicle, and I have the same wiring hookup that ive seen on tons of jetski, snowmobile,etc trailers.

Reply to
Waveblast9

Tirya did pass the time by typing:

From the Uhaul online reservation system for a Ford Exporer 4wd towing a trailer

"This vehicle is not authorized to tow U-Haul equipment. U-Haul does not rent behind this tow vehicle. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause you. Is there a different vehicle that you can use for towing?"

Oddly they will let me trailer using a Class III on a ...get this shit...

1993 Jaguar XJ-R

Bwaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.. ahhh.. erk! Oh dear, think I strained something.

Reply to
DougW

Oh yeah - I got the same line when I was pricing the U-Haul for the move. But when I got to the U-Haul place itself and talked to the guys there, they rented me one with no problem at all, even though I asked, 'cause I'd seen that on the website.

Bottom line, some places will rent to you with a soft top, some won't. I don't know whether or not the same applies to Explorers, or if U-Haul has cracked down on that more stringently because of the tire thing.

Tirya

Reply to
Tirya

It's chicago...not the cleanest air in the world! Probably didn't htink it'd matter!! har har

Reply to
SB

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)