Power steering for a CJ5

Reply to
RoyJ

Like the others said the first time you asked, giving us a half a clue as to what year and engine might help in the answers eh.

Mike

Tom P wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Is it possible to add PS to a CJ5? If so where would one start? Thanks for any thoughts Tom

Reply to
Tom P

Yes, its possible.

It's a General Motors system.

Reply to
J Strickland

If your CJ-5 was built between 1976 and 1983, you can swap the steering box, hoses and pump from any power steering equipped CJ-5 or CJ-7 directly into yours.

Other years may or may not work.

Reply to
Lee Ayrton

Yes, you can put power steering in it.It's a GM system. My guess is that it's gonna be something you will have to put together because if the vehicle came stock with the V8, it shoulda had power steering already.

Reply to
J Strickland

Reply to
Tom P

Ah, well. What I cannot tell you is if the I6 pump and hoses will fit the V8 application, but the steering box should be good for either engine from 1976 through 1983 or so. Probably even farther.

Tom P wrote:

Reply to
Lee Ayrton

Biggest concerns:

1) bracket and mounting for the pump to the motor 2) gear box should be easy swap, but make sure pump fitting matches box (pump fitting can be changed) 3) finding proper hoses

Note: define "easy to swap" = bolts come out of frame without weld-nuts breaking off, and proper tool available to get pitman arm off.

Start at the bone yard.

I did it on my CJ-7.... best modification done yet!

Reply to
JimG