Rain-X

Well, that's part of the problem. It takes forever to get it on correctly and goes bad real fast. With all the time involved in using the product, I could have gotten in the Jeep and driven to my desitnation. With the money I can buy a nice fresh set of wiper blades.

About the only situation that I can see Rain-X being useful is when you have a problem with the wiper motor. Otherwise, it is rather counter productive, like the Cone of Silence on Get Smart.

Regards,

DAve

Reply to
DaveW

Ok, ya'll wanna know the one good thing about rainx? It has cured a few scratches in some of my favorite cd's! :) Nick

Reply to
Nick N

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

I'd have to agree with that, perhaps not in the way you appear to mean though. The stuff works best when you spend enough hours and chemicals to completely remove all traces of the crap and run with a clean windshield.

Reply to
Lon Stowell

Approximately 11/17/03 19:10, L.W.(ßill) Hughes III uttered for posterity:

Cue the white boa scene music from "Gypsy". Baddabompbompbomp.

Reply to
Lon Stowell

Approximately 11/17/03 21:05, Jjsegr uttered for posterity:

Yeah, thats the other thing wrong with Rain-X. Perhaps it works well in the one or two remaing spots on the globe where the rain still resembles rain rather than sulfuric acid or as is more common on the left coast, a slurry of tire dust, diesel soot, industrial soot, etc. And the water splashed up from the road isn't dark brown or worse. For that wipers are pretty much mandatory and the wipers do not like that crap. A good set of silicone blades is cheaper, takes less rubbing, and cleans better with no streaking. Plus they are available in that dinky 12 inch Jeep length.

Reply to
Lon Stowell

Approximately 11/18/03 06:50, Nick N uttered for posterity:

Yup, sometimes it can change the amount of scatter from the scratch just enough that the pickup can punch photons off the dips and bumps properly. The other redeeming grace is that you are far less likely to do further damage to the CD than 99.999% of those CD polishing kits will do in the hands of a non-lapidarist expert.

Reply to
Lon Stowell

Just for my 2 cents worth, I have been using the stuff since if first came out, and it works great. But if you try and apply it when the temperature/window is real hot or real cold, then it does haze easily. No real trouble, just means that much more time buffing it.

Also, when buffing make sure to change cloths occasionally, just like when polishing your paint.

Scott

Reply to
Scott and Kathy Stone

I found the trouble with the wipers is that the Rain-X can build up on them, causing them to skip and do all kinds of nasty things. Older wipers seem more prone to the trouble.

Again it seems to come from not enough buffing, or (quite often where I live) the windshield gets real hot and seems to release some of the material. Cure? Just buff it again. Use some window cleaner on the wipers. This trouble seems to occur for me when I don't use the wiper often.

Also, I do not apply the Rain-X very heavy in the area traveled by the wipers, but use it liberally everywhere else. During summer/bug season, then I use it heavier on the windshield.

Hope this helps.

Scott

Reply to
Scott and Kathy Stone

Yes, I too have found the temperature of the windows when applying it makes a big difference.

Reply to
Scott and Kathy Stone

Actually, I find it of less use where the wipers go (isn't that what the wipers are for?) than on the back and side windows that normally get splashed and mucked up and hard to see out of.

I also apply it to the headlights, and use it mor on the windshield during bug season. It sure helps in cleaning the bugs off.

Scott

Reply to
Scott and Kathy Stone

Serious, or are you pulling my leg?

Scott

Reply to
Scott and Kathy Stone

Not at all! Just a stupid idea that came to me YEARS ago, and it worked! Nick

Reply to
Nick N

Reply to
twaldron

I use the washer fluid made by Rain-X. When you wash your windshield it applies a fresk coat of Rain-X.

Reply to
Jim Downey

I used it for a long time, I put it on before a car wash and washed normally. took all the haze of and made the install easy. Only problem with it is if your not moving fast enough the bead of water might not move without enough wind. But one quick pass with the wiper makes em cleaner than ever. Youll never need wipers on the highway

Reply to
Rokihora

Nope. Silanes in alcohol.

Reply to
Richard J Kinch

Whatever it is, it keeps the rain off, but it dissolves my windshield wipers, too. :-(

Reply to
TJim