Remote Entry - 95 Grand Cherokee

Hey There, I recently bought a 95 Jeep Grand Cherokee, but it didn't come with a remote key entry. I am just wondering if I can buy some remote from eBay.Can anyone please advice if this will work?

I didn't get a user manual, so I am completely lost.

Reply to
Mike1977

"Mike1977" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@i42g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

Your friendly neighborhood Jeep dealer will have the remote entry key and can tell you how to program it.

WARNING! Jeep is VERY proud of that thing and the price reflects that pride! They were around $100 about 10 years ago....

Reply to
XS11E

By remote key entry I assume you are talking about the keyfob. To determine if you have an alarm system simply open the door, press Lock, and close the door. A dash security light should flash. Or you can take your VIN to a dealership and have them pull the buildsheet (actually that is a very good idea) That will tell you if there are any recalls that are missing.

You could drop a message to

This is the remote.
have a 59$ knockoff No experience with either site.

95 was an iffy year for remote programming. Prior to that it was very simple. Been a while. I went with an aftermarket system about one week off the showroom floor. :) RF does a better job than IR and you can get more goodies (including remote alarm monitor/windows/remote start) For the price of a couple new fobs you might be better off with an aftermarket system.

I'd suggest checking aftermarket first, then looking for new fobs.

IIRC, the method was. Open door, press lock, put key in ignition and turn to on, press the unlock on the fob till the door unlocks (several seconds), turn the key off. (something like that.) The key was needed to prove you were the owner.

Reply to
DougW

Mike1977 proclaimed:

Yes, you can buy them off eBay. They aren't that hard to program. The range on them isn't anything to write home about even if you aim them at that little bubble in the console that is the sensor. Darned switches are somewhat fragile, they tend to crack at the poorly reinforced solder joints. Easy to fix if you have a good electronics soldering iron--haven't tried silvered epoxy yet.

You can buy owners manuals at

If you know which end of a left handed monkey wrench makes the best beer can opener you might also want to pick up the Factory Service Manual and Body Diagnostic Manual.

Reply to
Lon

XS11E proclaimed:

Yesss, your friendly neighborhood Jeep dealer appears to be far too much in love with the things to part with them for reasonable prices. They are all over eBay.

Reply to
Lon

Lon wrote in news:tI2dneJf2N0oD0_ZnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

Oh, sure, you can get one for $10 or so on ebay but if you do, how do you expect your Jeep dealer to make tons of money? Don't you WANT your Jeep dealer to make tons of money? ;-)

Reply to
XS11E

Yes, just think of that poor Jeep dealership owner having to make due with last years BMW, and *sniff* having to give up on that golf vacation to the Bahamas because *sniff* they can't afford the new

2006 graphite shaft helically weighted ballburner driver like the pros use.

Brings a tear to my eye.

Reply to
DougW

XS11E proclaimed:

There are many parts I will tend to buy only from a dealer. Then there are key fobs. Which actually cost more than $10 if sealed new units are wanted. They also are available at some recycling yards, which tend to be guarded by mean but politically correct recyclingyard dogs.

Reply to
Lon

I bought a pair of "remotes" on eBay for a steal but it still costs me $38.00 at the dealer to program them to work with my 97 Jeep GC. They get their money one way or the other. Good luck...

Reply to
Falcon63

Falcon63 proclaimed:

On the '95 you can still program them yourself. Easy from inside the vehicle.

Reply to
Lon

For the cost of the keys and messing with that silly infra red alarm you would probably be better off with a good aftermarket.

Reply to
DougW