Soft door questions

I just purchased a set of 2 piece soft superdoors from quadratec. I have the factory soft top and had the full height steel doors on my 99 tj. I think I adjusted them correctly so they seal pretty tight, but when driving above 55 or

60, they tops of the doors flap open and shut. It was raining last night and it didnt let any rain in, but it makes me feel as if a really good gust of wind could just tear the door right off. Also, I have to make a 5 or 6 hour highway trip next week and was hoping to take the trip with the new doors, but given the current situation, i dont think that would be a very enjoyable trip. Anyone else had this problem? Is it always like this or is it an adjustment issue? I was thinking if they were adjusted correctly, i could maybe cinch the tops to the roll bar in one or two places holding it shut tight while i drive. Anyone else think of this>? thanks.
Reply to
Waveblast9

Soft doors are more flexible that hard doors, which I assume you have as well. Wind gusts can flex them to where they may lose contact with the door frame for a split second. Happens on soft uppers/hard lower doors as well. You might try adjusting them a little tighter.

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

Matt Macchiarolo did pass the time by typing:

Don't have those doors myself but here is an idea to think about.

Seen those rare-earth magnets like the ones in hard drives? They are very strong and some are fairly small. You could put one on the door and one on the softtop.

Got a few of those at work and they are so strong you have to slide them off each other, can't pull the little buggers apart.

Reply to
DougW

How would you open the doors then Doug? :)

Jerry

-- Jerry Bransford To email, remove 'me' from my email address N6TAY, PP-ASEL See the Geezer Jeep at

Jerry Bransford

Jerry Bransford did pass the time by typing:

Pull rilly rilly hard. Then crawl in through the back. Which is just as well since it would save belt loops from being eaten.

Reply to
DougW

Not a bad idea Doug.

Matt, I posted this once before; a friend of mine a couple years ago bought a TJ with soft uppers and had the same flapping/wind noise problem on gusty days or at speeds in the 70 MPH range. His solution was to buy some heavy duty springs and some hooks. He bolted the hooks onto the upper leading corner of the soft uppers (using some good large fender washers to spread out the force and prevent tear-out from the fabric). Then he hooked the springs from the newly bolted-on hooks, to the mount thing for the sun visors. He ended up needing two of the heavy duty springs per side in order to keep the doors fully sealed in lots of wind.

The only drawback to the spring method is if you forget to unhook the springs before getting out (so yes, it's a slight PITA, as you always have to remember to hook/unhook the springs...he only hooked them for trips longer than 10 or 15 mins that would be going at higher speeds). If you do forget to uhook the springs, the first time you get out with them hooked, they will be irreparably over-stretched, and useless until replaced. (Can't tell you how many times I, as a passenger, would forget to unhook them and ruin a spring or two. He was just oh so happy when I did that..hehehe.)

Reply to
Bob

I have a TJ with factory top and 1/2 doors. They flex a little at highway sppeds on gusty days. Don't worry about it...they definitely WON'T let water in.

Reply to
Russ B