This might not have been a good idea, but...

On Sat, 01 Nov 2003 23:40:14 GMT, "Nathan Collier" shared the following:

We winched it sideways to get the back passenger side tire off of the wall it was up on, to drop it down more level so that it wouldn't roll. Look at the picture. See where the back driver's side tire is? Now picture where the back passenger side tire is. It was WAAAY up there which is what was causing the Jeep to try to tip over. When we winched the rear-end sideways it brought the back passenger side tire down so that it was able to be driven down the hill. We both talked about it for 3-4 minutes before doing it. It really wasn't that easy to keep up the amount of pressure to keep it from rolling over while we were talking. We may not have made the best choice, but the choice we made to rescue the Jeep worked out GREAT. I'm very happy with the outcome of it all. Where do you think we should have winched it from? David couldn't get to a point so that he was above me so he had to winch from below. If he pulled straight back then the rear tire would have climbed higher up on the wall and it would have rolled in a heartbeat. Maybe this was one of those "you had to be there" things? I feel like y'all just don't quite believe what I explained happened. :-/

-- Travis

meek shall inherit the earth. After I'm finished with it.:wq!

Reply to
travis

On Sat, 01 Nov 2003 15:52:39 -0800, L.W.(ßill) Hughes III shared the following:

I was there. You weren't. I didn't lie at all about what happened. I'm genuinely sad for you if you're too senile to understand that. I thought my Jeep was going over. I *did* stop it from going over. I guess I'm just a little tougher that you ever were, Billy. :-) Deal with it.

-- Travis

meek shall inherit the earth. After I'm finished with it.:wq!

Reply to
travis

On Sun, 02 Nov 2003 00:24:16 GMT, "D McMorris" shared the following:

Thanks, Daren. I can't help getting a little defensive when um... I WAS THERE and I know what happened and someone tries to say I'm full of crap. Like I said, I have a witness to the whole thing, too. I think part of the reason I may be as defensive about this one was that it was the first time I've ever really gotten SCARED doing this stuff. I really thought I was gonna break a few bones at a minimum as a result of this predicament. I never claimed to be a pro at offroading. I *do* claim that my word is good and if I say that the damned Jeep was this ----->

-- Travis

meek shall inherit the earth. After I'm finished with it.:wq!

Reply to
travis

On Sat, 1 Nov 2003 19:35:46 -0500, "Jay Stuler" shared the following:

I was going to answer this but I see a few others have already jumped in and answered for me. Thanks, y'all.

-- Travis

meek shall inherit the earth. After I'm finished with it.:wq!

Reply to
travis

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

Wow Travis! Glad to see you made it out ok! Although I don't think I would have done what you did, I understand the

*instinct* part of it.

Every spring when I bring the MC out from the 6 month winter hibernation, I put my foot out at least 2 or three times in the first week to try and *catch* myself.

Glad you're ok.

Mike

98 TJ SE
Reply to
GzrGlide

On Sat, 01 Nov 2003 17:13:58 -0800, L.W.(ßill) Hughes III shared the following:

Yeah. Where were you when I needed you, you old fart? :-)

-- Travis

meek shall inherit the earth. After I'm finished with it.:wq!

Reply to
travis

Which may not be long, as Travis likes to live dangerously! ;)

Brian

Travis, Nate's not talking about the hill climb and all, he's talking about sticking both your legs out of a rolling jeep. You could have lost both your legs. I'll bet that you wouldn't have considered that a good trade: CJ5 for two legs. Please, please! Never do that again! Sure you would be extremely disappointed if you lost your CJ, but you can get another CJ.

Reply to
TJim

OK, I tried to tell you about him, but did you listen? Noooooo... ;-) LOL

Reply to
TJim

Travis, How did you get your CJ all catty-wompus with those ruts in the first place???

Reply to
TJim

...even on flat ground, the "roll" bar folds, the windshield crushes, and the ground pays you a real "personal visit". If you're going to do this in the future, have a custom roll cage built. You won't be sorry. (You may be sorry if you don't)

Reply to
TJim

Wait a minute, as defined by Bill, "Real Jeeps" don't have roll bars, do they?

Reply to
Gerald G. McGeorge

No, you just called them heroes. I simply stated the actions they took. I have to agree with some of the other posters that this situation could have turned out bad. But all of us have done something, that in hind sight was a bad decision (sticking our legs or arms out). Bill I just called your statement ridiculous, regardless of what we think is right or wrong, the FACT is that people get involved. And YES they do try to grab a vehicle to stop a roll. And if you don't think that one 200lb man can stop a Jeep from rolling then you have not watched a single EROCC, UROC, or NUROC competition. Take a look at the guy on the tow strap, he is the life line of the rig. Now that is the safe way, jumping on the bumper is not. However, it DOES happen and it DOES work.

Daren

Reply to
D McMorris

By "you" I guess you're referring to "him" and not "me". Yes of course a full roll cage is the way to go but he said replace it with a roll "bar". I was wondering what the difference is between one roll "bar" and the stock.

Reply to
Jay Stuler

Hmmm... you're right! They have flat head 4s, too. And they can't exceed

45mph. LOL :-D
Reply to
TJim

Jay Stuler did pass the time by typing:

Yep

Never actually looked. Most of the aftermarket parts look to be made of larger stock with more cross bracing.

Reply to
DougW

Travis: This group has an asshole or two who really give Jeep enthusiasts a bad name. I believe your story as you posted it, and I am happy it all turned out OK. However, I would imagine you had to change your pants afterwards....

Reply to
Oscar_lives

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)