This might not have been a good idea, but...

On Sun, 02 Nov 2003 18:41:43 -0500, Mike Romain shared the following:

Thanks for understanding. I feel like an idiot over my earlier response.

No, never heard that one before but now that it's been explained to me it is kinda funny. I'm a bit slow sometimes. Ok...a lot of times. :-)

Unfortunately we don't have lottery tickets in NC. I wish we did, if we'd put a large chunk of the $ it raised towards the public school system. Thanks again, Mike.

-- Travis

meek shall inherit the earth. After I'm finished with it.:wq!

Reply to
travis

On Mon, 03 Nov 2003 05:55:29 GMT, bllsht shared the following:

No problem. The whole "I'm sorry!" "Me too!" thing is about to get sappy here. ;-) I sense a group hug coming on so I'm just going to silently step away now... heh heh.

-- Travis

meek shall inherit the earth. After I'm finished with it.:wq!

Reply to
travis

Hi Travis:

Don't fall for the baloney that the state politicians pitch you when they want you to vote for a state lottery. When the Ohio State Lottery was voted in by the people many years ago, all the lottery proceeds were supposed to go to the schools.

Yeah right! The lottery proceeds did go to the schools, but an equal amount of state money that used to go to the schools before the lottery came into being, was diverted to the state general fund, so in reality NO additional money went to the schools.

Tom

Reply to
mabar

Same scam here in California, Dave S

Reply to
Dave Shannon

Grabbing onto the high side is relatively 'safe' because you have an escape route.

I sure wouldn't go for the down hill side....

I jumped on the TJ about the same as the guy in Bill's link.

Mike

D McMorris wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Ok....

What gives here?

I am not seeing any of Travis' posts?????

I am only seeing the replies.....

Mike

mabar wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

On Mon, 03 Nov 2003 10:43:30 -0500, Mike Romain shared the following:

Remember that kill filter you set up for me...? ;-)

-- Travis

meek shall inherit the earth. After I'm finished with it.:wq!

Reply to
travis

I am glad you don't go wheeling around here.

Think about what you did. You fully expected that you could support the weight of your vehicle. Most of us can't support our own body wieght, some of us can support not only our own weight but that of our spouse as well. Some is us can support our own weight, and the weight of our spouse, and still be able to carry a sack or two of cement. None of us can carry our car. You faced death, and won.

Reply to
CRWLR

I picked up this post ok....

Hmmm oh well, funny server tricks....

Mike

travis wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

On Mon, 3 Nov 2003 10:45:28 -0800, "CRWLR" shared the following:

I got lucky. I didn't support the full weight (obviously) of my Jeep, I just caught it soon enough to be able to push it back to the teeter-totter position. A friend of mine locally just told me via email that he happens to have an extra full roll cage. I plan on checking it out and if I get in the "uh oh, I'm about to roll" position again I'll just sit back and enjoy the ride instead of trying to Hulk-out of the situation.

-- Travis

meek shall inherit the earth. After I'm finished with it.:wq!

Reply to
travis

Reply to
twaldron

Obviously you didn't support the weight of your Jeep, but it was still moving when you put your feet out, and you could have found yourself trying to hold it up.

Part of the fun and games is to balance your Jeep at just the right spot where it will hold itself up, but that you can rock it easily. Basically, I have put my CJ on the sweet spot several times, kind of like balancing a 'fridge on a hand truck. If the 'fridge is too far one way, it falls back onto its feet, too far the other way and you get crushed. The sweet spot is where the load is entirely on the wheels and you can rock the 'fridge back and forth in a narrow range. Getting your Jeep into this narroow range can be a delight, but because the range is quite narrow, you want to be sure you are fully inside the protective confines of the roll cage.

NEVER EVER UNDER ANY CIRCUNSTANCE should you or anybody else put a arm or leg outside the vehicle in an attempt to keep it upright. This is a recipe for serious injury, maybe even a serious death.

Roll overs generally follow an episode of bouncing. If you are climbing a hill, and begin to bounce, then you are ripe for a roll over. Bouncing can result in broken Ujoints, which then results in a rapid decent backwards, which leads to a roll over. You should try to avoid bouncing, especially while hill climbing.

I always hit the hill on my first approach in a manner that is probably too slow to make it, but if I don't make it, I get a good feel for what is going to happen if I give more gas. If I stall out the motor, then I shift into R, refire, and back down. I make a second attempt based upon the experience of the first, if the hill is too steep, I take the bypass. If the hill causes my Jeep to bounce, I take the bypass. If I simply bog down because I am going too slow, I hit it again with more gas, and walk right up.

Reply to
CRWLR

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

Reply to
twaldron

Anybody notice the lack of comment out of Jenn? Figured she had become the current guru on rollovers for the time being.

Reply to
Will Honea

It's like sex, once you learn, you never forget. Having a full roll from the tires back onto the tires, and two rolls onto one side, and another roll onto the other side, I am about as expert as one is likely to find anywhere. Unlike sex, you can get too much though.

Reply to
CRWLR

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

As opposed to a silly death. :) n.

Reply to
Nathan Otis

Sorry....been too busy to read for a few days. Our Annual GPS Challenge was on Saturday...and what a challenge it was!!! (We took 2nd in our class Pretty good for 3 out of 4 people in the team never having done this before.)

He is damn lucky not to have lost more than what was in his shorts! Good roll cages and the knowledge that you MUST keep all of you inside the vehicle (somehow) while its going over is very neccisiary. While I dont want to do that again, I am quite thankful that its been drilled into me to hang on and let it happen, and also I am thankful that I had no passenger with me at the time. In fact several times later in the day when I had one I kicked them out for some of the hills. I didnt want to take the risk of someone else being with me if I screwed up again.

Reply to
jbjeep

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)