Waggy Working Again !

Got my Grand Wagoneer working again ! As I wasn't up in Edinburgh as often as I wanted the last couple of years, I didn't tax it or MOT it ( MOT is the annual inspection test covering emissions and roadworthiness). Anyhow, having done some work on the rather dodgy original wiring, and the rather dodgy amendments to the original wiring, I'm driving it about again.

(yes, I forgot to put the hubcovers on).

I'm missing the original cruise control parts (doubtless hard to get here), the air con doesn't work particularly (not really a problem here and presumably it contains R12 which is banned ??) and it likes to bleed a little on the road now and then, but it does drive nicely.

If you have a FSJ in the UK, get in contact ( jeep at milne dot info ).

Dave Milne, Scotland

Reply to
Dave Milne

Wow, that is a nice old tank!

Can the old AC compressor on those be converted to onboard air?

Mike

Mike Romain

Dave Milne did pass the time by typing:

Looks to be in good condition for an old Wagoneer. Why not convert the AC compressor to an air compressor? That would probably be of more use. :)

Reply to
DougW

How did it escape the rust, that is the bane of practically every Wagoneer I have ever seen, even in sunny, relatively dry Colorado? The AC is fairly easily converted to more modern refrigerant. All you need is a pack of O-rings, compatible oil, evacuate and charge.

Earle

***
Reply to
Earle Horton

A Real nice Jeep Wagon.

God Bless America, Bill O|||||||Omailto: snipped-for-privacy@aol.com

L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

It is a really solid vehicle and seems to be pretty rust free, but I'm going to POR15 and Waxoyl it though to be on the safe side.

Dave

Reply to
Dave Milne

Don't see why not - it looks like a Sanden unit to me. I think Kilby do bits for Sanden and York, although the York flows more air.

Dave Milne

Reply to
Dave Milne

I don't take it off road - its a nice old 15 yearold car with less than 100 here in the UK ( so I'm told ; I've never seen another one). It seems a shame to thrash it about when parts are hard / slow to come by, and I can't buy a replacement. I'll thrash the TJ instead, and use the Waggy for the snow :-)

Dave

Reply to
Dave Milne

Cheers for the links, Bill !

Dave

Reply to
Dave Milne

Now we want to know how you got it.

Earle

***
Reply to
Earle Horton

Actually, you don't just have to evacuate it for 134A. The desiccant in the reciever/drier will absorb the moisture, and the small amount of air is harmless. But you DO have to flush the old oil from the system and blow the solvent out (do not attempt to flush out the compressor). It makes a mess. Some 134A-compatible stop leak won't hurt, either. You can buy reto-fit kits that contain everything but the alcohol solvent (including adapters that make your R-12 valves compatible with 134A recharging kits).

Dan

Reply to
Hootowl

There are a lot of those late FSJs around here, I know of a couple like yours that need minor work to become roadworthy again, but they have little value withy fuel costs so high. Check on the FSJ board,

, someone undoubtedly has the parts you need, and few there are extortionate on their pricing.

Reply to
Stupendous Man

Troubles with the waggy seems like a private matter to me ...

I know a doctor that can get that waggy working again.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Yes. And it can be fitted to a CJ5.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

I saw it advertised on a Jeep club website, and as the guy lived only a few miles from me I thought I'd check it out. It was first sold in Kuwait, which probably explains why it has no woodgrain (it would melt), and the lack of rustiness. Then, someone imported to London, and sold it to the guy I bought it from. His passion was CJ6 Scramblers, so he sold it within a couple of years (took up all of his garage and I think he was after another CJ6 IIRC).

Dave

Reply to
Dave Milne