Where should I buy Rotors and Drums?

The brakes on the 99 TJ have not been performing as good as the should so I decided to do a brake job on it (62K). I felt kinda weird driving the CJ to fetch parts for the TJ as it sat up on jack stands with no tires. Anyway I took the drums and rotors to Autozone and they said they could not machine them as they were too warn. So I told them to just give me new ones and the parts guy plops down a rotor box with a big ole MADE IN CHINA sticker on it. I promptly decline to purchase the rotors and drums as I don't trust the PRC to stop my Jeep. Where should I buy the rotors and drums? Autozone used to be where I bought most of my parts, but now they seem to be marketing to the hip-hop crowd putting neon on their hoopties.

Reply to
Barry R.

Usually there is nothing wrong with MADE IN CHINA parts. America is full of "hip-hop crowd putting neon on their hoopties" who think that answering a telephone or preparing a cappuccino constitutes manual labor, so you are going to have a tough time finding MADE IN USA parts. Look around and you might find HECHO EN MEXICO or FABRIQUÉ EN CANADA. :o(

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

Honestly, I had a service manager at a car dealer tell me that rotors are pretty much rotors unless you're buying something cross-drilled or something.

Reply to
Big Daddy

That service manager would be way off then... factory rotors went to ultra-lightweight composite material rotors right after the EPA fuel economy mandates. Automotive manufacturers lightened everything possible, including our brakes and brake rotors. The lighter weight composite rotors are far less able to withstand heat and are thus very prone to warping.

For that reason, aftermarket all-cast rotors are popular and a very good investment... these are what used to be used on vehicles. My first rotor replacement was to an all-cast design which holds up very well.

So there are very real differences in factory and aftermarket rotors, if you know what to ask for. Which reminds me, few sales clerks in auto parts stores know the difference between composite and cast rotors and will likely give you a blank stare if you ask for cast rotors... as happened again recently to me when I had to buy new rotors while installing new larger diameter front manual hubs on my TJ.

Jerry

-- Jerry Bransford To email, remove 'me' from my email address KC6TAY, PP-ASEL See the Geezer Jeep at

Jerry Bransford

The Warn manual hubs have a larger hub diameter, too large for a standard rotor to fit over. So I had to have the center hole for the rotors turned to a larger inside diameter to fit over the new Warn hubs.

Jerry

-- Jerry Bransford To email, remove 'me' from my email address KC6TAY, PP-ASEL See the Geezer Jeep at

Jerry Bransford

Oh, I thought you might have gone from the small Warn hubs that fit stock Wrangler wheels, to the larger hubs that fit CJ wheels. Do you have any thoughts on that? I am going to go to Warn hubs sooner or later, and I don't want to have to buy new hubs twice...

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

Well if anyone is interested PepBoys sells Raybestos rotors that are made in USA and drums that are made in Canada. Was 62K a reasonable amount of milage to get on the factory stuff? (one pad change)

Reply to
Barry R.