Winches

That's all I have. It's definitely a poor man's winch. Still, it has gotten me out of axel deep mud a few times.

Tom

snip

Reply to
mabar

SB: you guys are really trying to get me in some deep trouble here. 8>) But I do think that your right on the air bags thingy> L.O.L Artificial air bags no less. I can't that this . I was thinking that they were Blonde that's why they were hanging over the cliff in the first place. ROTFLMAO

Reply to
JIM LAIRD

i also keep a come-along.

Reply to
Nathan W. Collier

Dave: Do I understand you right to mean that your no longer a kid. 8>)

CJ & XJ JIMMIE VP.of The North Iowa Off-road Club

Reply to
JIM LAIRD

Well, I don't carry all that every time. Plus I have my Jeep Trailer.

Reply to
Charlie

Indeed:

After much bad press, the Iltis has been dumped in favor of the Mercedes Gelaendewagen, reportedly not much better:

At one point, Canadian forces used CJ7s and YJs:

Steve

L.W.(ßill) Hughes III wrote:

Reply to
Steve

I carry an 80' 3/8 extension cable that I can add to my Milemarker's reach if need be. Originally it was 100' long and came installed on the winch when I received it... Unfortunately there wasn't a lot I could do to avoid munching the end of that cable given the predicament.

---------------------------------------------------- Del Rawlins- del@_kills_spammers_rawlinsbrothers.org Remove _kills_spammers_ to reply via email. Unofficial Bearhawk FAQ website:

Del Rawlins

Heh, I'm 37 now, but still like Smokey and the Bandit.

Dave Milne

That's the one! looks cool. Gotta check the surplus sites.

Reply to
SB

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

heh heh... And my wife thought I was crazy when I bought the DVD. :-)

"I can hammer it back into shape later." :wq!

Reply to
Shaggie

On Mon, 26 Apr 2004 14:46:30 -0700, the following appeared in rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys, posted by L.W.(ßill) Hughes III :

Good idea, but what does that have to do with my post, which was an answer to whether water will "short out" a battery?

Reply to
Bob Casanova

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

Enjoy.

Howard Eisenhauer

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

Ok, so several years ago I was scanning the local paper (the Durango Herald) and checking the 4x4 want ads for the occasional diamond in the rough CJ or FJ40 Land Cruiser that pops up from time to time. I came across what was perhaps the best Toyota ever available in the Four Corners: Right there in the classified it said it was equipped with "Worn Wench".

Hey, at my age I'll take her, worn or not!!!!

Reply to
Jerry McG

In looking for winches that would run underwater, I found many years of Jeeps underwater:

God Bless America, ßill O|||||||Omailto: snipped-for-privacy@aol.com

L.W.(ßill)

On Tue, 27 Apr 2004 14:34:37 -0700, the following appeared in rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys, posted by L.W.(ßill) Hughes III :

[Converted to bottom-post for readability]

Nope; sorry. The exchange was:

[My response to SB]

Saltwater will. Freshwater (usually) won't; it's not a very good conductor.

[SB's post]

So the question was whether water will "short out" a battery; he didn't say anything about winches.

No, thanks. Even in distilled water (which is a damn good insulator, and wouldn't cause direct *electrical* problems just by its presence) you'd have problems when the motor started, at the commutators and perhaps elsewhere. It shouldn't be too hard for a manufacturer to create a sealed system, though; it's done all the time for shipboard use.

Reply to
Bob Casanova

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

ok...but since all things run from teh battery (unless the other argument over hydraulic wins here) then having the battery short out from water won't let anything run anyhow!!

I'm not sure about connectors shorting out, if the fuses will pop and sever that short...but definately from one terminal to the other it would.

And as far as salt water vs regular water.... Salt water is a better conductor but I'm sure water is still a pretty good one. sometimes the dirty grungy water will work just as good as salt water for conduction....

Reply to
SB