Winches

Bill, I would try my Warn XD9000i underwater in a quick second if needed.

It is sealed (no vents) and uses the wire rope drum for the heat exchanger. It pointedly says you can't use 'rope' on it, it has to be wire rope for the heat exchanger.

I am thinking it is time to take it apart and regrease the O-rings to keep the water tight integrity.

Should I be changing my thoughts on my winch? I have no paper work for it, it was left to me in a Will from our old roommate, may Bruce RIP.

Mike

"L.W.(ßill) Hughes III" wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

L.W.(ßill)

Purified or De-ionized water doesn't....but there's still sediments/minerals in regular freshwater that would still conduct!

conduction....

Reply to
SB

I'm sure there are other newsgroups where you can get wenching lessons from Casanova but I don't think they are anything like this group.

8^)

---------------------------------------------------- Del Rawlins- del@_kills_spammers_rawlinsbrothers.org Remove _kills_spammers_ to reply via email. Unofficial Bearhawk FAQ website:

Del Rawlins

you _sure_ about that? water resistant yeah......water resistant will keep water out while fording. it wont keep water out if submerged though. i know of no water proof electric winch.

Reply to
Nathan W. Collier

You are likely right, I still would try it!

I have been submerged in my Jeep and big time sunk in an old Volvo 240 GLT on a river crossing up in the Northern Ontario Bush and both times I used the starter with the vehicle in 2nd gear to get out of the river to dry land.

Those starters were 'way' submerged both times!!!

I figure a starter motor is going to be drawing a shit load more amps to move the vehicle on the ring gear than a winch motor on a spool....

Mike

Mike Romain

plus bath water would be dirty.

sediments/minerals

Reply to
Jo

mine certainly would!!

Reply to
SB

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

On 28 Apr 2004 22:21:47 GMT, the following appeared in rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys, posted by Del Rawlins :

Ha. Ha. Ha.

Reply to
Bob Casanova

We always called them "Penguins"...well out of yardstick range of course.

Reply to
L0nD0t.$t0we11