Winches

Whatever you have to tell yourself to perpetuate the delusions bud...

Reply to
Bill

Nevertheless, I think we covered this on the "top or no top" thread, but HOW waterproof is the interior?

Get it up on the dash and it gets in the cig lighter...ignition hole...cd/cassette port....vent holes on radio!?

Do they make a floating Jeep with a bilge pump?

Reply to
SB

The complaints are usually second or third hand as far as that goes. I've got a Milemarker hydraulic and I certainly don't regret having bought it. The only possible complaint is that it is slow, but if I need to winch it isn't like I am going anywhere fast anyway. And with the power available, I can know with certainty that something is getting unstuck, whether it is the Jeep or whatever I have the other end of the cable connected to.

---------------------------------------------------- Del Rawlins- del@_kills_spammers_rawlinsbrothers.org Remove _kills_spammers_ to reply via email. Unofficial Bearhawk FAQ website:

Del Rawlins

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

What I don't get, is he makes up a hypothetical situation and could have chosen a busload of anything, and he picks NUNS??? Personally I would have chosen to save a bus carrying members of the swedish bikini team, or maybe help Angelina Jolie pull out her "Tomb Raider" jeep which is stuck because its electric winch died. 8^)

---------------------------------------------------- Del Rawlins- del@_kills_spammers_rawlinsbrothers.org Remove _kills_spammers_ to reply via email. Unofficial Bearhawk FAQ website:

Del Rawlins

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

If my engine is underwater, it is unlikely that I'm going to use my winch to get out. Boat ramps go pretty deep around here, and the rivers have hellacious currents. I don't like having to flush all my fluids often and replace rust-pitted bearings, so I avoid deep crossings.

It is far more likely that i would be flipped off of a road and into the trees around here. Plenty of anchors, and very steep hills. I figure if I roll off a trail, I have a 25% chance of landing in a position where I can run the engine. If there is no one else around, that winch is all I have to get it back up. An electric and some snatchblocks will handle that.

I'll leave the Nun's empty bus for the towtrucks, they have insurance for that kind of liability.

Reply to
Paul Calman

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

Sorry Del I'll just have to try harder to use my imagination more . 8) There once was a bus load of playboy bunnies hanging over the side of a cliff and

Reply to
JIM LAIRD

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

Del: I couldn't have said it any better. Those are the same complaint's that I have as well. The power that they have tells you one thing you are going to get unstuck or you will know the reason why>>>>>>>>>>> 8)

Reply to
JIM LAIRD

Bill: I'M not going there .L.O.L I'll only succeed in getting my self in some pretty deep trouble no doubt. 8)

Reply to
JIM LAIRD

heh.....i love you bill! :-)

Reply to
Nathan W. Collier

totally non-applicable. not only are headlights sealed (if they werent the element would burn out) but the amperage required to light them isnt comparable to 400+ amps required to winch yourself out.

Reply to
Nathan W. Collier

Idolize, may be a better word. ;-) God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O mailto: snipped-for-privacy@aol.com

"Nathan W. Collier"

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

it amazes me how so many are so biased against hydraulic winching without ever even seeing it, and base this bias supposedly on the engine drowning or being upside down. when you factor in that electric winching isnt the answer in those situations either (in the real world anyway for obvious reasons) it makes you wonder where this bias comes from. prior to a few weeks ago i never even considered going hydraulic. i didnt have anything against it, i was just unfamiliar with it and since electrics have served me well for so long i saw no need in changing it.....until i saw a few hmmwvs on bragg working their hydraulic winches. if youve had a bad experience with hydraulic winching then by all means go electric but if youre simply ignorant to the benefits of hydraulic winching i encourage you to learn a little about it before drawing any conclusions and spending your money. you just might have a new way of thinking as i did. electrics served me well but now that ive gone hydraulic

i dont foresee evergoing backwards.

Reply to
Nathan W. Collier

Nuns = Old :-)

Dave Milne

Like the Kokopellis on that site..

Reply to
Dave Milne

Well, the coil on the commutator is made up of a teflon covered wire. So that wouldn't do it there. It's more where the connections are made...probably go through grommits and all.

But again....water resistant vs waterproof?!?! It does say you can use it underwater....anyone tried that?

Reply to
SB

didn't they make a "real" jeep that would run on 3 tires (if one went flat)....and i remember someone once talking about a 'magnesium' engine block. (would flame up nice so the enemy wouldn't get it or something?!

Reply to
SB