Window Glare

I was driving at the end of the day today and I was reminded of how pitted my windshield is on my 87YJ. The Glare was so bad when the Sun was straight ahead I had to slow to a crawl to be sure I was on the road. I found looking out the around the window was far better. Has anyone ever had any luck with window treatments meant to buff out the pits?

I may replace the glass someday soon as it is dangerous as is but I wanted some feedback on other options.

Sorry If I missed this on an older thread.

Thanks!

Perry

87YJ 36X12.5 MT Baja's
Reply to
Perry Gagnon

just drop the windshield!

Reply to
Joe

Reply to
twaldron

That's what beards are for :-)

Reply to
Joe

My 86 is getting there too. Not dangerous yet, but annoying.

Mike

Perry Gagn>

Reply to
Mike Romain

Reply to
Perry Gagnon

Personally I can't wait 3 more years until our CJ (82 model year)is 25 model years old and qualifies for "antique" plates. (No safety inspection, ergo pitch black windshield tining!)

Reply to
Joshua Nelson

Up here in Canada, the police will nail you cold for windshield tint.

Has nothing to do with a safety inspection, has to do with visibility and is a 'rules of the road' regulation.

They can even nail you if the front side windows are too dark for them to see into the vehicle. (unsafe for them, you could be armed or something)

It varies from province to province. My brother in law had a Volvo with factory dark tint in the glass that was legal in Ontario at the time. When he moved to Alberta, the police told him either change all the windows with new glass or park it.

Mike

Joshua Nels>

Reply to
Mike Romain

Same here in the south (NH ;-) )

Beside why would anyone want pitch black windshield tinting! Add some dingle balls across the top of the window while your at it! Next he'll be chopping it to a low rider with low profile 19" rims! Sounds like my 16 year old son. (My will leaves my Jeep to my woodsman brother for fear of what my son may do to it!)

Perry

87YJ 36X12.5 MT Baja's

Mike Roma> Up here in Canada, the police will nail you cold for windshield tint. >

Reply to
Perry Gagnon

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

LOL!

At least my almost 20 year old son has an appreciation for the off road capabilities of our two Jeeps.

I had him driving on bush trails on glass ice in the winter when he was

14 and he has been an avid camper, canoe paddler and bush whacker all his life.

He loves cruising the bush roads with the windshield down, trying to smack me with branches... LOL!

Man, he still comes on camping/off roading trips with my wife and I! He brings a buddy or cousin sometimes, but they always have a good time with us. Even if we do something silly like run out of roads going north, so canoe the rest of the way up to James Bay. That was a 'fun' trip, want to do it again, only prepared this time, not spur of the moment.

Mike

Perry Gagn>

Reply to
Mike Romain

Fancy yourself as a filmstar or mafia type ?

Dave Milne, Scotland '99 TJ 4.0 Sahara

: > Mike : > 86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail in '00 : > 88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's : >

: > Perry Gagnon wrote: : > >

: > > I was driving at the end of the day today and I was reminded of how : > > pitted my windshield is on my 87YJ. The Glare was so bad when the Sun : > > was straight ahead I had to slow to a crawl to be sure I was on the : > > road. I found looking out the around the window was far better. : > > Has anyone ever had any luck with window treatments meant to buff out : > > the pits? : > >

: > > I may replace the glass someday soon as it is dangerous as is but I : > > wanted some feedback on other options. : > >

: > > Sorry If I missed this on an older thread. : > >

: > > Thanks! : > >

: > > Perry : > > 87YJ 36X12.5 MT Baja's

Reply to
Dave Milne

My Son has been sadly influenced by the Fast and the Furious movie. He thinks anything that has 3 or 4 cylinders and 22 inch wheels has NOS and is a 10 second car. I keep trying to point out the true car in that movie was the old mopar by showing picts of my old 69 Superbee full blown 440 at the drags.

Though he is good in the bush with a gun, canoe, kayak, and setting up camp he just didn't get the motorhead genes from me I'm afraid. He put together a R/T Challenger toy model kit for me and kept asking where the NOS would go! I told him I would disown him if he ever installed one of those huge honkin' HUNduh! mufflers. I call them Audiovox Muffler Amplifiers...don't forget to hook up the 12 volt source for that V8 sound! ;-)

Kids! We just make em, try and mold them, and try not to break them in the process!

Perry

Mike Roma> LOL!

Reply to
Perry Gagnon

No, I fancy that I don't like the sun in my eyes and I can't use sunvisors due to aftermarket roll bar occupying that space.

Reply to
Joshua Nelson

That is different for us. In the USA the vehicle's home state regulations travel with the vehicle. For example, some states require front plates, others do not. If you're driving a vehicle in a state that does require, but it has plates from a state that doesn't require, you're ok not to display the front plate.

This has actually gotten me out of a ticket. We have moved around all over the country due to my dad's job. The state I live in now has higher minimum insurance liability requirements than the state where I got my license and plates. I got out of a ticket for not carrying required insurance minimums by showing him my out of state license and fudging a story about how I was just driving through the state, not living there. (Unfortunately, I still got a speeding ticket...)

So in other words, your brother could have kept his tint by keeping Ontario plates, if Canda laws are similar to US laws.

Reply to
Joshua Nelson

It was too late for him to keep the plates. The RCMP already had him tagged on their computer and you have to change the plates over after so many days residence.

A dark strip across the top of the windshield to act as a sun visor is allowed, just not the whole thing.

Mike

Joshua Nels>

Reply to
Mike Romain

I use regular grade fine auto body polishing/buffing compound, a lambs wool bonnet and a high speed body shop buffer. Will do wonders with an old pitted windshield - it wont get the big defects but will remove a lot of the small stuff. I do it every year until the power buffing starts to distort the vision, then replace the glass.

Ive always wanted to use an optical "lapping compound" (for lens and mirror grinding/polishing) and the buffer... just never got around to it. Scientific supply houses carry the stuff for amateur telescope makers.

Reply to
RichH

Approximately 10/2/03 14:32, RichH uttered for posterity:

I would think you'd end up with all sorts of tiny swirl marks.

lapidary supply as well. Fine rouge followed by tin oxide final polish. Diamond for those who can afford same is a bit faster but pricier than the window.

Reply to
Lon Stowell

LOL! Bill you da man! Does that BasketBall hoop install on the back of the bumper next to the spare make it hard to drive through a tunnel?

Reply to
Peter Parker

sun glasses ? "Pitch black" windows just aren't safe, even if some think they are kewl.