Sirius instead of XM in 2004 Maxima SL

I have a 2004 Maxima SL with an XM radio. I used to have a Sirius but with this new car I took the option since it was the car I wanted on the lot. But I've discovered that I miss my Sirius. I can still use the FM modulator but my area is not very RF modulator friendly. Is it possible to have Nissan replace the XM with a Sirius? It might cost a lot but right now I just want to know if its even an option. I have the Navigation system as well if that makes any difference. If that is not an option is there an aux jack or can I somehow connect the FM output of my modulator directly into the antenna? If so, how and where is the jack and how do I get to it? I think it is possible since I've seen antenna adapters specifically for the 2004 Maxima so that different sources can be plugged directly in. Thanks.

-- Guitar Player

Reply to
Guitar Player

If you haven't already, why don't you try XM for a month or two. I have XM and I am very satisfied. All the music channels are now commercial free. I can't believe Sirius is that much better. The only thing is I wish XM had NPR. I can pick it up on FM if I really need hear it. Sirius does have different sports packages that I would be interested in.

Reply to
Taco

They may not charge you anything but labor if you swap out the XM box for Sirius... of course this depends how much of an ass you were during negotiation for the car!

I agree, btw, I think Sirius both sounds better and has better music programming.

Reply to
Rich

It just depends on who you ask. I have both and find XM's music to be massively better than Sirius'. Now that XM is adding sports (NCAA) even may sports fans may prefer XM.

The sound quality of XM is indisputably better. I have an XM dealer install in my FX35 and the sound quality is great.

Reply to
D Ray

Ok, this is like saying that Sony DDD CDs have better sound quality than some other brand of DDD music CDs. If the entire trail is digital then either the original input or the equipment in your vehicle is the weak point. It's more likely that one or the other sounding better is because of the equpiment it was played on or location.

Reply to
WindsorFox[SS]

Or the bitrate and/or recompression on XM is a lot better. A lot of sound quality has to do with the codec.

Reply to
Sneaker Freak

Quality analog stations don't have these issues.

Reply to
FanJet

Yeah but I jost don't see that happening, but since I have no use for a radio that comes with a monthly bill I never have looked at them.

Reply to
WindsorFox[SS]

Turns out it was real easy. I installed the Sirius on top of the XM. Swapped the cables, I used the same antenna and it works great. No changes needed to the HU required. As far as the programming, with Sirius I was more than happy with just 3 channels. With XM I found myself always searching for something I wanted to listen to. This is a completely arbitrary thing but when I had XM I found myself using the CD player more than the sat radio. That is not the case with my Sirius.

Reply to
Guitar Player

Reply to
Rich

Both signals are compressed, since bandwidth is a scarce resource -- so while they're digital, they're not CD-perfect. In my view, Sirius has a more noticable problem with compression artifacts. But both are far better than FM, and either is almost as good as CD.

Reply to
D Ray

I notice on XM that certain channels audio is processed in such a manner that it cancels out the vocals in part. What's left is a stronger ambient effect. Vocal tracks are laid down in mono and the effects like reverb are laid down in stereo. If you take the left mono vocal track and shift the phase 180 degrees of the right then listen to the both, they'll cancel out each other while the effects in stereo remain the same. I used to do vocal reduction using PC software for people who wanted to do karaoke but use their own music so I know what I am hearing. I haven't addressed it with XM support however.

Reply to
Meat-->Plow

How is any of this 'far better' than a decent CD transmitted by a decent FM transmitter, received by a decent FM receiver? You can replace decent with unmolested anywhere you like.

Reply to
FanJet

I hope that isn't a technical question. The non-technical answer is that it SOUNDS noticeably better than FM. It's clearer, cleaner, more dynamic, broader highs and lows, and darn close to CD quality.

If you have a critical ear for music, you should pick up on this immediately upon listening. If FM sound is good enough for you, in comparison to CD, then don't bother with these. (OK, there is the programming and "anywhere" nature of these.)

Clyde

Reply to
Clyde

I guess unmolested FM is hard to come by. On the other hand, as music services add more and more channels to the same transponders, what you consider close to CD quality will disappear. High quality frequency response and dynamic range aren't needed for may types of music and they'll be gone before you know it.

Reply to
FanJet

Yeah, high quality audio (and video) is a dead industry. ;-) Nobody buys high quality recordings or equipment. ;-)

I will agree that lots of music and lots of ears don't demand top quality in sound. So, for the majority of the market it isn't going to sell. However, there are many ears that listen to music that you wouldn't think needs the best, but they certainly spend lots of money on top quality equipment to listen to it.

There is and always will be music that can benefit by top quality sound. There are and will always be plenty of ears that demand it too. So, where there is a market, there will be the product. It isn't going anywhere.

Clyde

Reply to
Clyde

I don't understand. You say that for the majority of the market it isn't going to sell. If it isn't going to sell, there's no incentive to provide it and the providers won't. What happens is that consumers pay big bucks for receivers and amplifies and speakers and equalizers and, etc. As long as the content contains no static, reasonably low levels of whiteish/pinkish whatever and is presented at outrageous levels, they figure everything's A-OK. and they got their money's worth. The only thing that seems to upset them is when all the stuff pops a spot-weld in truck but what the heck, that's what warrantees are for - right?

Reply to
FanJet

I think you don't understand "markets". You may not understand "majority" either. To be a majority, you only need 51%. That leaves lots of room for minority markets that can be very profitable.

The market for Nissan is different than for Infinity. Yes, Infinity is a minority market, but that doesn't mean they aren't successful. Being a minority market is part of what makes them successful; if everyone drove an Infinity it wouldn't have some of the appeal that it does.

It's the same with quality sound. It's not for everyone and doesn't really want to be. It's designed to appeal to a minority that it discriminating. So, what Best Buy sells will reach a much bigger market (majority) than what your specialized audio/video store will sell. However, they can both be very successful in their market segment.

Yes, the majority of people will always listen to FM radio. Yes, a minority will pay for the extra quality and convenience of satellite radio. A lot of people are betting that both will be very successful.

[Then again, with the current trend to more and more "talk" on FM radio there is something going on. I wonder if other sources of music (including satellite radio) is driving this.]

Clyde

Reply to
Clyde