109/110 hybrid ?

Anybody know if it is possible to fit a 110 safari rear body tub on a 109 leaf sprung chassis ?

Also can a safari tub be fitted on a 3 door chassis ?

and Finally 110 windcreen on 109 bulkhead ?

Basically Ive a good galv 109 rolling chassis and the offer of a 110 safari rear body. Will it go ?

Any advice appreciated, Ian

Reply to
Ian Betts

Anything is possible, but I think this is one of the easier ones, assuming you are talking Series 2/3 not Series 1. As far as I know the difference in wheelbase is forward of the bulkhead, and the attachments are the same.

Yes - may need to drill a few holes or remove/add brackets.

Dimensions are the same, but hinges are different, - can be done. Note that as you are probably aware, the main problem will be at the top of the windscreen. You will want to keep the 110 roof and windscreen together and vice versa.

The other point is that the 110 rear body is set up for the wheel arch flares. This won't affect fitting it, but won't look too good with Series front wheel arches, or for that matter with the narrower Series axle and wheel track.

regards, JD

Reply to
JD

On or around Sat, 30 Aug 2003 19:58:31 +0100, "Ian Betts" enlightened us thusly:

probably.

depends how much of a bodger^W engineer you are :-)

The various mounting points are all doubtless different. I don't think the actual chassis is different, wagon vs standard, but the 109 and 110 chassis are very different. You might find the wheel arch is an inch out.

If you're prepared to mess around and probably fabricate some mounts, I'm sure it's possible. Otherwise, best not.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Should fit although the wheelarch profile is different to take the eyebrows. Bulkhead will take the 110 windscreen but you will have to fiddle with the mountings a bit.

The safari chassis has additional bracketry to support the rear passenger footwell etc but is otherwise the same. Nothing that can't be overcome with a bit of ingenuity and welding.

Cheers Sean

Reply to
Sean Ryan

Thanks Guys,

I think I need to study the chassis mounts before I commit to the project.

Im probably going to get arrested peering under parked safari's in car parks!

Ian

Reply to
Ian Betts

In article , Ian Betts writes

Presumably the fuel tank will fit as well?

I was 'caught' peering under my own Ex-MoD 109 "Definitely not checking a dodgy tyre Officer" in a car park. Took me 10 minutes to persuade the police I wasn't planting a bomb under it (much to the amusement of my work colleagues).

Reply to
John Halliwell