110 went bang

My 110 LWB 2.5 N/A diesel went bang on Monday. Any clues on which bit of the engine it might be. Symptoms are: Gradually increasing black smoke, loss of power gradual - but might have been the MOT station backing off the fuel mix for the emissions - have been gradually winding it back out. Tappit noise. Terminal symptom was big cloud of black smoke and no power worth speaking of, was very glad that I was not on a slope when pulling into a handy gateway. Every few revolutions there is a sort of clacking bang. Help. Amanda

Reply to
GyroLady

Hi Amanda,

Sounds to me like a bearing has come adrift or a piston is not well, the black smoke sounds like ol is getting into the chamber. I think whatever is the conclusion to the problem, it is an engine rebuild or engine swap.

Not probably what you wanted to hear.

Andrew

"GyroLady"

Reply to
Andrew Renshaw

On Fri, 3 Dec 2004 21:29:33 -0800, "GyroLady" >>> at

Mr.Nice.

if its black smoke then its over injecting fuel .

if its white smoke then its either advanced too far or its oil .

check youre rocker arm clearences and make sure exhaust and inlet valves are opening and shutting .

check the oil level also and make sure it isnt too high .

Reply to
M0bcg

On or around Sun, 5 Dec 2004 18:46:45 -0000, "Huw" enlightened us thusly:

Reply to
Austin Shackles