Soundproofing 2.5 Diesel 110

Hi folks,

New (to me) 110 2.5D arrives Tuesday. From my memory of my old 110TD, I can expect a noisy drive. Does anyone have sensible suggestions on good soundproofing?

Cheers, Stuart

Reply to
Stuart Gray

iPod

Reply to
Nige

I've got a MiniDisc already, but for some reason The Wife is allergic...

Stuart

Reply to
Stuart Gray

ISTR that an engine-bay sized lead loaded blanket figured in one article about soundproofing when I subscribed to LRO many, many years ago.

Richard

Reply to
Richard

You asked for this......... Remove diesel, fit V8!

Taxi.........

Reply to
Badger

Don't get me started! I'm trading my lovely V8 for this one (sob), 'cause the fuel costs are too high, and LPG conversion rules in France are potty! All tanks must be within the vehicle (not slung beneath) and boxed against sunlight, so I would lose half the rear area (and hence two seats) for a 68l tank. Bah!

Stuart

Reply to
Stuart Gray

Yes, that's what I was thinking. Anyone got a mail-order source?

Stuart

Reply to
Stuart Gray

Can you not import one already converted from the UK?

Reply to
Tom Woods

Happen I'm mad - but I just love to hear the sound of my 90TD engine chuntering away under the bonnet!!

Reply to
Julian Pollard

TD5 sounds OK....

Reply to
Nige

yep Agriemach at

Derek

Reply to
Derek

I can relate to this, I've a V8 in the Disco, the IIa was previously a Jag lump but there is something reassuring about a diesel lump's tickover that can equally make it musical.

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

Having spent last Saturday traveling 400 miles in control of 525 of Caterpillar's finest horses I tend to agree.

Reply to
EMB

On or around Mon, 26 Feb 2007 00:13:07 -0000, "Lee_D" enlightened us thusly:

they sound good when pulling at low-medium revs, too. specially if it's got a nice gas flow through it.

but it's especially the idle that's soothing.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Maybe, but I think a DII has a wee bit more soundproofing built-in than a 1984 110!

Stuart

Reply to
Stuart Gray

Not as easy as it sounds - the French are seriously heavy on Type Approval and Homologation. Even with an "approved installers" certificate, they can refuse you the equivalent of an MOT, and if the vehicle wasn't sold in France in the configuration you present[1], they can (and will) often refuse you the registration - which means annual trips back to the UK for MOT and tax, and I'm buggered if I'll do that!

Stuart [1]I've known people unable to register a Peugeot 205, because the engine installed was only available in the UK!

Reply to
Stuart Gray

Hehe, I can relate to that as well. I've heard some really nice sounding disiesels but my absolute favourite sound made by any piston engine in the world is the Napier Deltic, two of which were fitted to the old British-Rail class 55 "Deltic" locomotive. At idle, they could soothe a teething baby to sleep! Badger.

Reply to
Badger

In article , Badger writes

Stopitstopitstopit!

'S my favourite motor of all time. Got in trouble with the DC* for standing awestruck for too long** in the York museum, where they've a cutaway one. Now if Hammond had been jockeying one of them it's have just gone straight on, tyre or not...

ISTR one is being restored somewhere, n'est ce pas?

Regards,

Simonm.

*Domestic Controller **>10 secs - the cafe was open.
Reply to
SpamTrapSeeSig

In article , SpamTrapSeeSig writes

OK, Just found the DPS pages...

Regards,

Simonm.

Reply to
SpamTrapSeeSig

On or around Mon, 26 Feb 2007 10:35:48 GMT, SpamTrapSeeSig enlightened us thusly:

did you find a who lot of recordings of the noise?

only railway loco to sound like an aeroplane, and there's a reason for that: the engine design was derived from the inverted-V diesels made by Junkers and others, or so I read somewhere - 3 Vs stuck together in a triangle...

Reply to
Austin Shackles