200 TDi into S3

i have a 200 tdi discovery with a knackered chassis, it is arunning vehicle. What is involved in dropping the engine into my s3 petrol, other than obviously removing the s3 engine first. Would it be best to put the whole gearbox/tx box fromm disco in as well. or will the tdi mate onto the s3 gearbox.

Do the engine mounts from s3 fitthe tdi has anyone done this?

Any advice would be received most gratefully

Tony

Reply to
Tony

While this can be done, the problem you have is that the Discovery is full time four wheel drive, where the S3 is part time four wheel drive - and the S3 gearbox will not stand the tdi engine for very long. So you have the choices (for a satisfactory result) of either:-

  1. Modify the Disco transfer case to part time four wheel drive - probably expensive and a fair bit of research, but perhaps the best solution.
  2. Modify the S3 front axle to take CV joints instead of the cross and bearing U-Joints - expensive, but I think there is a kit.
  3. Fit the Discovery axles to the S3 - rear no problems, but there are issues with the track rod interfering with the springs - cheapest, and been done quite often, but some of them look pretty crude.

As you can see the engine mounts are the least of your problems! (I think theyare the same position on the Series/200tdi but not the 300tdi) Then yoou have to fit the intercooler and radiator, but this is relatively minor. JD

Reply to
JD

What about using a front axle from a stage one?

Icky

Reply to
icky

Apart from the obvious problem of different 4wd types, you will shag the S3 gearbox in 5 seconds!!!! They can't really take the S3 engine let alone a turbo diesel!!!

Nige

--

Subaru WRX Range Rover 4.6 HSE (The Tank!)

We might be going on a summer holiday, the Greece Ball rally!!!!

Reply to
Nige

Using the SIII box it goes pretty much straight in. As I recall you have to use the mountings and mouting brackets off the SIII engine - they just bolt on in place of the Discovery ones. There's a bit of plumbing needed beacuse of the switch to diesel, but that was about it - a couple (I seem to recall one actually) of bolts don't line up on the bell housing but that's not a problem.

You'll have to watch your right foot, or get a good stock of half shafts in!

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd